Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-05-2002, 06:28 AM   #61
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: ...it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle.

I'm an owner of a '97 Blackbird. I have put just over 22,000 miles on mine since the summer of 2000. I sport tour. Like 4500 miles in 2 weeks sport tour, two up. I love my bird.

I got the chance to ride an '01 XX up and down Hwy 1 north of San Francisco this Fall. The suspension was much more supple than my '97. The other thing I noticed: No tingly vibration at 5000 rpms.

Possibly the only good upgrade for a Blackbird owner wouild be a newer Blackbird.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2002, 07:27 AM   #62
Cyberj10
Founding Member

Default 954 vs R1 Reader Feedback

I enjoyed this article but quite frankly find it as filler while waiting for the real battle, the comparison between the 2002 954RR and the 2002 R1. Come on Yamaha, where the hell is this bike. Every online motorcycle site and their mom have had 954RRs for at least the past month or so. Isn’t the 2002 R1 supposed to go on sale in the beginning of March? How the hell can the motorcycle press not have access to a bike that’s supposed to be out in less than a month? Come on Big Blue, let those dogs out (sorry), we’re dyeing to hear what this baby can do.
Cyberj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 08:04 AM   #63
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Wheelies

I was wrong about the change. It was 1 mm, not 1 cm. I still think the location of the rider/bike combined center of gravity relative to the wheelbase is more important than the power difference. It's lower and/or more foreward on the Honda.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 08:07 AM   #64
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Wheelies are no measure of power

You are so right! Except the seat change wasn't enough to do it.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:10 AM   #65
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Wheelies are no measure of power

Who called me a dipstick?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:21 AM   #66
Bare
Registered Member

Default Re: 954 vs R1 Reader Feedback

SO what? What does that have to do with this test? I have a Triumph Sprint RS that will handle anything your VFR will, but I came here to read about Sportbikes because I also have a 929. Believe me, neither your Honda nor my Triumph will handle the stuff the 929 does! That's comparing my stock 929 to my modified (Ohlins, Racetech front) Triumph. Your lovely comments about the VFR have no meaning in this discussion. I like the excess, but anything over about 30hp can be excess on the street. So, some of us like more excess than other. Look at all the excessive SUVs on the street. Who needs that?

Bare

Bare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:30 PM   #67
rtbone44
Founding Member

The American Paradigm is blatantly apparent; give me more hp & less weight. Thanks Honda and Yamaha. Now exactly how fast is that top speed, and roughly how quick are those 1/4 mile times? Inquiring minds want to know...R/T
rtbone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 03:01 PM   #68
Alan
Founding Member

Default Re: ...it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle.

good point,

I had a 95 VFR and compared to my

RC51, it was down on HP & Torque.

and pretty heavy also.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:35 AM   #69
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Wheeiez are kewl, dudez!

Seriously, though, I'm 34, ride a ZRX 1100, and I like pulling occasional wheelies. It does them much better than my Concours would (yes, it would actually wheelie in 1st if you tried hard enough LOL).

There a right time and a place for doing them, but I don't see anything wrong with discussing them. Wheelies at speed are a rush - I can only do them with the help of a sharp rise at speeds over 60 mph, without abusing the clutch. I still think guys doing wheelies in heavy traffic on the freeway at speed are fecking idiots, however.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:39 AM   #70
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Grossly off topic cuz I can't be stopped!

I guess I'm a spendthrift. I subscribe to Cycle Canada and Inside Motorcycles (Canadian tabloid-style bike mag) and usually buy every Cycle World and Motorcyclist at the newstand. Considering how much I spend on those others, I figure I could afford the USD$12 subscription fee here.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote