Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-03-2002, 08:20 AM   #41
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Wheelies are no measure of power

Wheelies show that the rider has gotten all the weight of bike and rider on the rear tire patch. Any attempt to accelerate just lifts the wheel, so the rider needs to shift his weight down and/or forward to go faster.

A comparison of 0-80 acceleration between the R1 and the 954 would probably favor the Honda all the way if both riders kept their tails in the design seating position without transfering weight to the front wheel. The Honda could use traction all the way to wheelspin while the Yamaha was waving its front in the air.

GP wheelies at corner exits are pretty and exciting, but a planted front end gets more speed into the straight.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2002, 12:49 PM   #42
theDartman
Founding Member

Default Re: 954 vs R1 Reader Feedback

I was going to suggest to you a GL-1800. As I read on I see that even an ST-1300 is probably not to your liking. Why not a Ducati 998?

Does testastretta mean big balls required?

-theDartman
theDartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 01:03 PM   #43
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Grossly off topic cuz I can't be stopped!

Ouch! Dude. I come froma big Catholic family and ride my dad's biek more than he does (long story) so my "Sunday morning ride" is to Mass...a candle was lit for Boehm today.

And Mitch is a big guy, from what I understand; he must have come down pretty hard on those ribs.

Motorcyclist was the first MC rag I ever read, and it was the one I kept going back to afte toying with some of the others. One man's writing (content and style) made me make the switch from reader to rider, and that was Greg McQuide. His enthusiasm for normal folks riding normal stuff most of the time is what made me think I could maybe enjoy this whole thing. (And I do, even tho I've still yet to afford a new bike of my own.) Greg made me understand how lucky he felt to just ride, (and how lucky he felt to have sucha great gig) and he made me want that same feeling. Someday, when I grow up, I wanna be a goober cycle rag editor, too!

The first things I noticed about post-subscription MO: you guys contribute to the feedback more; awesome, and necessary...this feeling of access to the braintrust is a big part of my pleasure here. Also, i noticed that "to get my money's worth" I started looking at other areas of the site I had neglected before. So now, I really must insist on some new episodes of Max Damage (I worked in a comic book store as a kid). Maybe "Cycle to the Center of the Sun: BLiP's outerspace adventures" or something.

Okay, I'm done now.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:54 PM   #44
doc929
Founding Member

Huh, I think the seat is 10mm or 1cm closer to the bars, not 10 cm. Check the intro info again.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:01 PM   #45
doc929
Founding Member

Default Re: Grossly off topic cuz I can't be stopped!

Mitch needs to stay on the tarmac. People who think that the dirt is safer are only partially correct. You can have fun at 30mph on dirt though. Same rules apply too. Keep the rubber side down.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #46
95XV1100
Founding Member

Rider position too sport like. I like being able to ride longer than 1 hr. and still wanting to go more. Std. sporting position just not practicle for me.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:22 PM   #47
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Need this???

95XV1100, you can get the ZRX1200R and spend a mere $70.00 for a Zero Gravity windsheild to have a similar ride to the S model. As for showing your age, the REX is loved (or hated) by all age groups. I am 30 years old and think that the REX looks a lot cooler than any Gixxer out there. Another thing to keep in mind is that even though you said that you do not need the latest racing bike, a simple stage 2 jet kit and full Muzzy exhaust has been proven to yeild 130+hp and 85+ftlbs. of tourque on the dyno. Ohh what fun it is to blow by $10,000 hyper sports while on my mobile recliner and eating a powdered doughnut!

BTW, keep an eye on your local Kaw. ads. I got mine on clearout for $6500.00 + tax. A true steal for this bike.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 07:09 PM   #48
TheFox
Founding Member

And the only bike Fogarty rode on the street was a custom made Monster, right? Makes me wonder what the others ride on the street. That would be an interesting story...interview the racers as to what their street bikes are and why.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 07:49 PM   #49
minime
Founding Member

Hmmmmm. Excellent idea...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #50
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: ...it can handle any street, road or highway I need to handle.

And you'll notice that the VFR doesn't sell very well here in the USA. However, looking at another market, you find some reasons for its longevity.

Taking the UK as the example I know about, (being from there), if I wanted insurance on a Hayabusa, living as I did in London - the answer is no - or just possibly now I'm older I could pay a huge premium of up to a third or more of the cost of the bike new.

As for the VFR, the insurance comes down SIGNIFICANTLY.

Here in the USA, car insurance costs a fortune but bike insurance isn't too bad. They also arn't too tied to engine size or performance. However, for many people in other markets, the insurance on the bigger bikes is prohibative. For example, another reason why the ZX-9 survives is that in the UK many people can't get or afford insurance on a Blade, R1 or GSX1000. And you premium if you crash it or it's stolen and replaced..... forget it.

Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote