Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #31
sculptor666
Founding Member

Default Re: 954 vs R1 Reader Feedback

Did you know that some of the fastest racers ever have been the absolute worst when it comes to telling their team what the bike needs?

>ambiguity doesn't win arguments.

Editors have a mix of speed and the ability to relate a bike's often subltle characteristics to other people who may never get the chance to feel what they're able to experience. Hopefully this is done in an entertaining way.

>entertaining, if you're into monotony. quit writing the same reviews. see how long you can go w/o a wheelie reference. can't do it can ya?

pay per view is gonna flush you.
sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #32
tgassett
Founding Member

Those are my thoughts exactly. The 954 motor surely only has a few hundred miles on it at best. After is is fully broken in, dyno them again, my guess would be the Honda would make at least as much hp and torque as the Yami when broken in fully.
tgassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 08:13 PM   #33
maccam
Founding Member

*cough*636*cough*
maccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 08:19 PM   #34
minime
Founding Member

sculptor666,

"ambiguity doesn't win arguments."

I wasn't aware there was an argument going on. If you'd like to carry on a constructive dialogue, however, then by all means, please feel free to e-mail me at minime@motorcycle.com. We can discuss race winners known for a lack of bike set-up skills, last year's GSX-R100 or even the right spice to put in a holiday yule log.

"see how long you can go w/o a wheelie reference. can't do it can ya?"

Well, we do it rather frequently, thanks -- writing articles without wheelie refrences, that is.

The reason for the occasional wheelie references, sculptor666, is that a lot of people who read this site are general enthusiasts who have never had the opportunity to ride what we (editors and, presumably you, judging by your comments) ride. When you pull up to a stoplight some place, and there are people around, and kids bristling with enthusiasm, staring at your cool bike, what's the first thing they say? "Mister! Pop a wheelie! Pop a wheelie!" Are you familiar with all those guys doing wheelies for the video camera (Star Boyz, et. al.)? Wheelies are the most easily recognizable manifestation of power to the general public and, still, a large number of people who ride.

Hope that helps? Oh, and pay-per-view is doing just wonderfully. Thanks!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 09:35 PM   #35
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Okay, face it: This story is a teaser. Nothing is certain until we get the 954RR AND the GSX-R 1000 AND the revised R1 ridden and reviewed together. Progress is interesting, but relative, and in terms of what I'm theoretically shopping for this spring this particular matchup is also somewhat irrelevant.

And to those whining about the existence of open-classers to start with: Get real. Gleeful excess, in the right proportions, is a part of Western civilization. Yeah, it's a little silly; even Rossi (yes, that Rossi) has as his street ride an F4i, which a lot of you would (wrongly) consider a beginner bike. But who's to deny this facet of the market? Big wicked monsters that destroy everything out there...hey, it's fun, both to participate and just to watch.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:01 PM   #36
ram
Founding Member

So, I guess those 500GP machines sucks, and so does the riders. I mean they pull all those wheelies on corner exits...

Not to mention the one over the start finish line when winning a GP (Don't we all wish to pop one of those?)

And what's so bad about entertaining some folks on the way home with a wheelie or two?

Sure made my day when I was a kid!

These bikes are entertainers, both for the rider and the public, and the gixxer is the greatest of them all.
ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:02 AM   #37
stormcloud
Founding Member

Why so much time and energy worrying about a few horsepower - wont a 130 hp bike as light as any of these feel @#$% fast??!!

Heavier, less powerful superbikes are almost as fast as 500gp, 250 cc and 125cc arent that much slower on tighter tracks either.

Surely they are all FAST, good handling machines that would be equally thrilling to ride!?

Didnt people enjoy riding motorcycles when you could only get 120 hp in 480lb chassis??

RELAX and be cool. Enjoy whatever you've got for what it is and does; and lust after what turns you on without getting obsessive-compulsive about immaterial details.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 06:57 AM   #38
95XV1100
Founding Member

Default Re: Need this???

Boxjoint, I strongly agree with your comment. I am looking at moving from an agressive cruiser to the ZRX. One thing I really like about the ZRX-1200R is even coming from riding a cruiser I won't miss the torque. Also no power mods required. I don't need the latest and most fastest I just love to ride on a compentent bike cause damn it's fun. I dont need to impress anyone with the lastest racing look either. My only complaint with the zrx is I wish we could get the S model (Don't care about riding raing legend replica either). Appears to be much better fairing and screen. My experience with the VFR is while being a good all around bike. It's a touch too slow not really all that comfortable and way overpriced. Compared to the VFR the ZRX is a steal. I am probably showing some age here but whatever you ride have fun and ride safe.

95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 07:13 AM   #39
95XV1100
Founding Member

Default Re: Grossly off topic cuz I can't be stopped!

The subscription cost for this site is perfectly within reason. I hope it allows this site to become an even better cycle resource. Guys just make sure it stays without any manufacturer bias. Great job! Keep it up!
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 07:41 AM   #40
sculptor666
Founding Member

did i say wheelies suck? no.

did i imply the writing does? yes.
sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote