Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-02-2002, 09:11 AM   #21
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: 954 vs R1 Reader Feedback

Did you know that some of the fastest racers ever have been the absolute worst when it comes to telling their team what the bike needs? They don't know how to identify a problem or how to suggest a fix. They ride around problems and are able to hang it out on the edge, lap after lap, and make it to the checkers first.

There's definate talent in that, make no mistake about it. And it's true most magazine editors are slower than a lot of racers. But what sort of article would it be if only the fastest people were editors? "I went fastest on this bike, not so fast on the red one and... I dunno why. I just did."

Editors have a mix of speed and the ability to relate a bike's often subltle characteristics to other people who may never get the chance to feel what they're able to experience. Hopefully this is done in an entertaining way.

Most of us can push a bike pretty close to its limits, and tell you what its doing there and, hopefully, why. We should be able to relate this to you and let you know what the bike feels like there.

This, of course, is what seperates most editors from most racers, and from your local fast guy.

Hope that helps?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2002, 09:12 AM   #22
minime
Founding Member

If somebody wants to come down and run their bike on our dyno to see how it compares, then just drop us a line. We're open to it. Definately.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #23
minime
Founding Member

Actually, this Champion's Edition R1 we have now is a different bike than the one used in our initial Open Superbike comparison. It had the same number of miles on it as the Honda 954 when it was given to us.

As always, bikes released to magazines for testing have been broken in by their manufacturer, so we just get to twist the throttles without any worries about bike-specific break-in procedures.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:39 AM   #24
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Grossly off topic cuz I can't be stopped!

Great read, guys. These really are all darn uncomfortable for me even around the block, even saddle-testing in the showroom, but the writing is good, so Thanks.

I want you to know that I can really only justify one mag subscription a year; not for lack of another $12, but for lack of time to read more than one. So when Y'all went subscription, I declined to renew with Motorcyclist (who write a really nice rag, BTW.)

But I like all the archives at fingertip, and you guys are funnier. (Or dumber?)

Ain't it about time for another valu-bike comparo, as it seems y'all write one about every two years or so, and the last was in Y2K. Maybe could I please (pretty please) see the ZR-7S this time around?

And hey, did you guys get your money yet?!

Or more accurately, did you guys get MY money yet? Hope all is well.

Keep up good work, stay safe.

Old 02-02-2002, 12:38 PM   #25
99R6
Founding Member

couldnt agree more... these are performance bikes, get a bottle or a skirt if you cant handle it... Suzuki has the jump on everyone, all i hear about is this stupid second place yamaha...
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #26
blademan
Founding Member

You guys whining about HP. Do you understand that the 954 is 954 cc's? And how many cc's is the R1? 998 cc's. There is your power difference genius. Honda has and will always opt to make a complete bike, a well rounded package not all out HP. Babasan is the designer of the Blade (Light is right) since the first one. That has been his philosophy. Don't you think big Honda knows it is down on power? Do you think they care? Apparently not because they keep coming out with bikes that are down on power compared to the rest of the class. The Blade is the best handling bike in its class, better than the R1 and the Gixxer1k. Go ride one back to back with other two, you will feel the difference. Oh yeah, the sell these things by the lot so they are getting it right. If you want the latest HP champ get whatever, if you want a complete bike that a novice and/or an experienced rider can be fast on, get the Blade.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:31 PM   #27
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

No gas mileage
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:39 PM   #28
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yeah!!! You tell him. Same here. I can't tell you sh!t for set up but I have a slower friend that helps me set up my bike better than what I can do. Gives me a half second and feels better. I am by no means fast though.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:45 PM   #29
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

You never see Kawasaki complaining or adding more cubes. The new 954 makes about as much power as the old 929. The GSXR has less displacement, but makes more horses than the R1. Go figure. As for the best bike, it's all up to the rider's preferences. I have never really felt great riding a honda until the 929 was released. The old F3 (and F2) spooked the hell out of me but I could get on any other six hundred and push it a tad.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:46 PM   #30
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Grossly off topic cuz I can't be stopped!

Heh, heh. Thanks for the love. Motorcyclist is a good rag, we're buds with a buch of the people there and we sometimes help each other out.

As for the Value Bike Shootout, we'll put up a news post soon and solicit your ideas for comtenders for the title. As always, we appreciate your feedback, be it positive or negative. And with the wonderful support you have shown with subscriptions, we're now more able to swiftly act on your wants and desires, bring you a mo' betta MO.

One last note: Speaking of Motorcyclist, their editor, Mitch Boehm, just broke four ribs during Dirt Rider's 24-hour thrash. Our best wishes go out to him for a speedy recovery.