Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   Honda CBR954RR Reader Feedback (

Poser 01-24-2002 08:20 AM

Still Holding Out for Europe
Well, I guess I could be convinced, if you need a really slow rider. I am holding out for European bureau chief, though.

Poser 01-24-2002 08:27 AM

Old bike test
You could take it one step further and get a cycle trader and a fixed budget, say $1,200, and see what you could get. You could do a different budget comparo every year or so, just to see how money actually affects what you can really get. Might be some really wierd combinations of bikes. That would be a lot of fun to read about. Probably be a lot of fun to try to pull off- imagine a track day on a '79 CB650, or pickup truck duty on an '86 gixxer, or...

Abe_Froman 01-24-2002 08:29 AM

women on staff......
Isn't Danielle there anymore? Or is her internship over? :(

Abe_Froman 01-24-2002 08:40 AM

If only you would make the decision on which reader to choose by quizzing us on three areas: the Constitution, computer hardware, and snowmobiles......

Abe_Froman 01-24-2002 08:49 AM

Story stuff
This could get a little morbid, but it would be interesting to have a "crash story" section in which readers (and you guys) could post any and all stories about crashes or other mishaps they have been involved in or witnessed on a motorcycle. At the very least, we could all learn a few things we may not have thought of before.

The other idea: ways in which to deal with the cops, whether it be legal advice or tales of run-ins with the law, or the pantheon of all motorcycle yarns, stories about ditching the fuzz. I'm sure you may have some reservations about creating an area like this, but you have to admit that it would be interesting reading. As long as people don't lie.

ciao 01-24-2002 12:31 PM

Comfort level
The 929 is a relatively comfortable sportbike even for all-day rides (I’m 45, 6' and 160, and have done several 600 – 800 km days).

What about the Â’54?

Your review doesnÂ’t really make a comparison, merely stating "you're now seated 10 millimeters farther forward which places more weight on the front end without making the riding position uncomfortable".

(The review at maintains that "the shorter reach to the bars, and the re-shaped gas tank on the 954RR make the new bike significantly more comfortable to ride than the 929RR.")

My initial impression of the Â’54 from sitting on it at a show this month is that the bike puts slightly more weight on the wrists, which would inevitably be somewhat more tiring. But the Â’54 remains much more comfortable than the Â’02 R1 or Suzuki 1000.

A footnote:

You quote Baba-san as saying "riders must be able to completely use the machine to take advantage of the performance."

I think thatÂ’s the case about any bike.

dwindhorst 01-24-2002 01:52 PM

Re: Story stuff
Among the most interesting, useful features in "Flying" magazine

is a column called "Aftermath." Every month they take a detailed

look at a different aviation accident, what went wrong, and how it might

have been prevented. Granted, the exhaustive work

the FAA and NTSC do to investigate and document such things makes that

easier perhaps than delving into the "typical" motorcycle accident,

but, still, you'd think we could learn something useful from whatever

info is available -- police reports, etc.

Abe_Froman 01-24-2002 07:06 PM

Re: I'll keep my 929, thanks
The last Erion 929's went out the door of my dealer (in Minneapolis) for $8100, if I remember right. Normal models were $7600.

Abe_Froman 01-24-2002 07:11 PM

Perhaps the only irritating thing about my '00 R1 is the small trunk, compared to the station-wagon-like storage that I had on my '97 GSXR600. I could fit books, a footlong subway (w/chips) without folding it, a pair of jeans and a shirt, a crumpled-up coat, a pair of shoes, almost anything I needed to carry could fit in my 600 or my buddy's '96 750. It was a beautiful thing.

baR_n1 01-25-2002 12:19 PM

Re: Comfort level
i was able to talk my local dealer into letting me take the 954 for a test spin and ur right, the 929 was more comfy... the 954 tank seems a lot bigger and in the way than previously. it reminds me of the gixxer. also, yeah, from just sitting on it, it seems like they have butchered the new R1 riding position. the older ones had, in my opinion (5'9" 160 lb.) the best feel... now it kinda hurts the wrists just sitting on the damn thing.