Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-23-2002, 03:59 AM   #21
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Subscription

Speaking of subscriptions, how is that working out for you so far? Have subscriptions kept up with expectations?

I have been impressed with the amount of new content since the beginning of the year. I hope it keeps up.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2002, 04:09 AM   #22
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default More tests and shootouts

Go forth, and spend my subscription money in obvious ways!

Keep up the good work

Btw, Thanx for (finally) fixing the preview function on the message boards.
Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:59 AM   #23
TAZ
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda CBR954RR Reader Feedback

Honda has hardly overlooked the class. They have chosen to ring to market a bike that has real world power, ergonomics, and reliability. I own two 929's, and while I might be able to go a little faster on a G1K, most G1K riders struggle to keep up (unless we enter a straight fairly close together). Make no mistake; if Honda felt it was appropriate to market a 160 rwhp bike for the street, they certainly have the capability. They just don't feel it's the right thing to do.

On that note, I am offering my like-new '01 Erion Edition 929 for sale so I can try a different bike this year. I'll be keeping my '00 929 for track/street use, but have the itch to try something new.
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 06:06 AM   #24
crg
Founding Member

Default Re: I'll keep my 929, thanks

Anyone interested in 929's should ensure that their local dealer isn't trying to rip you off.

Cincinnati dealers are selling brand new Erion 929's for $8400 with room to haggle...
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 06:30 AM   #25
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Subscription

Subscriptions are going well, and I finished the code to give attribution to each story from which'

people click through to subscribe.

This is good in that contributors are now going to get a cut of revenues they generate.

I'm undecided if it's good or bad knowing exactly

what drives revenue to us. We're now financially

driven to provide the most-favored content that drives the most subscriptions. I guess it's good that we'll do more of what people really really want to see, but at the expense of a lot of the oddball stories we used to do (although, most of those did go away by 2000 anyway...). As time passes and revenues build up, we'll be adding staff, so a lot of the "different" content and other things like monthly columns will return, but it'll take time.

Subscriptions have actually reaffirmed my faith in

humanity: Our readers have been, for the most part, very supportive and kind about the whole change.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:10 AM   #26
Huss
Founding Member

I agree whole-heartedly, good job on having the first story out on the press intro. This is why I subscribe to this format, for the speed in which you are able to publish reports versus that of the hard-copy medium. I did notice in the February edition of Motorcyclist that the editor in chief slammed "some" of the moto-based web sites as being weaker, less-credible media outlets.

Hmmm, sounds like some-one is feeling the pressure of competition....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:13 AM   #27
lightnin
Founding Member

It's funny, this idea y'all seem to have that a company like Honda can just wave a wand and presto, an all-new bike in twelve months. It can't be done, not even by Honda. Yes, you're right, the 954 is basically just a bored out 929 with a few mods to save a few pounds. And the R1 will be very little different, really, than the 2001 version. Sounds like the Kawi will be all new, but since it started on the design boards 3-4 years ago, it won't approach the Suzuki in all out performance either.

Fact is, Suzuki shocked 'em all last year, caught 'em all with their pants down. And to develop an all new bike to rival it will take anyone who tries the same 3-4 years to develop as it took Suzuki to design, develop and produce the current GSXR1000.

Problem for everybody else is, by then, the bike Suzuki doubtless started developing last year ( after the current design went into production) will also be just hitting the market.

The catch-up game is damned near impossible to play.

And if all out performance is the goal, it's a game nobody but Suzuki is apt to win for a generation (of bikes, not people) or two.

Still, as someone who hasn't ridden anything but a Honda since 1972, I have to say, the 954 looks to be a remarkable streetbike... if I could afford the insurance on two bikes, my VFR800 would have company in the garage just as soon as I could take delivery.
lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:14 AM   #28
john
Founding Member

The current bikes are going on a 2 year cycle....new model, update after 2 years, new model after 2 more.

Asking them to make an "all-new" model everytime the competition comes out would be ridiculous. Plus it would absolutley kill any aftermarket for the bikes, because by the time the aftermarket and race teams got a bike sorted a new one would be out.

Overlooking? Hardly.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:19 AM   #29
minime
Founding Member

Hah! No, there's no tongue-lashing involved. We'll figure out some creative way to decide who gets to help us and when. Though, this comment is not necesssarily meant to disuade people from sending in explicit photos of ex-wives, girlfriends, etc. I mean, really, why would we want to stop anybody from sharing their love?

I'm thinking an addendum to the Babe Section: "Reader's Rides" er, wives or...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 09:50 AM   #30
ZRX11Jim
Founding Member

Just a bored out 929? Seriously, would you care to read an itemized list of changes from the 929 --> 954 besides aeshetics and larger bore pistons? Let me know and I'll post it later if you wish. It took up approximately 2 pages when printed out...
ZRX11Jim is offline   Reply With Quote