Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2002, 04:03 PM   #31
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: No Put-Down

I forgot one thing in my post. The seat choices on Harleys are almost infinite. Stock pillions on most bikes other than FLs are not so good; however there are inexpensive seats available for every Harley model that are reasonably comfortable.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2002, 04:07 PM   #32
Weezel
Registered Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Feedback

Whatever happened to just cruising? I know all the MO boys are essentially sportbikers begrudgingly riding these power cruisers for shootouts, and it's natural they like the ones that ride most like sportbikes. But as their own '98 article said, cruising is about...well, cruising. Going in a general direction, stopping for food and drink wherever, and coming home at night tired but content. It' didn't use to have to be a thrill ride. I generally put in a comfy 300+ miles/day in the desert with friends, laugh a lot, stop a lot, and eat a lot, see some good scenery and do it effortlessly on an 1100 Aero ($8900 new). I guess I'm an old fart, but why don't we just get an Evil Knievel jet bike, stick an H-D symbol on it and get the whole thing done with.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:46 PM   #33
Bill_Scott
Founding Member

I certainly enjoyed your power cruiser shoot-out and the followup comparo between the Mean Streak and the Warrior. However, I feel the followup would have been more valid (and provided different results) had you been able to do a FULL comparo using the original mix and adding the Warrior to it. Don't get me wrong, on the surface at least, the Warrior appears to be quite a tasty piece of iron, but I'd have interested to see if the outcome in a full shootout would still favor the Mean Streak. Remember, it did not really win any particular categories as initially tested. It won overall by being a strong second-place finisher in the majority of the categories. That being the case, I don't think the results would change all that much by being second (as before) to the Warrior. Since I live the in real world (sometimes), I appreciate real-world testing. Good articles!! Keep them coming.
Bill_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:58 PM   #34
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers. Hm.

I don't see how this relates to the Warrior or Mean Streak. Do Japanese cruiser riders wear better protective clothing, go faster, or have better attitudes than Harley riders?
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 02:43 AM   #35
gkbikers
Founding Member

Harley's are bad, blah, blah, blah. What is riding a motorcycle all about, anyway? If you get into it just to "be seen" or "be cool" or have others believe you are somone you are not, then obviously you're gonna feel the need to put others down who might threaten your "coolness." Some Harley owners are "posers." Some metric bike owners are "posers." It's the person that owns the bike that is the problem, not a particular brand of bike. Harleys have come a LONG way in the past few years. IMHO, they are really nice bikes now. So are Valkaries for that matter (I just have no desire to own one right now).

Ride your bike and be happy. Just thank God we can still ride in this country.

As far as the Warrior, the Mean Streak, and all the other v-twin "power" cruisers go, my personal choice is definitely leaning toward the Warrior....and I have owned nothing but Kawasakis since my first bike (32 years ago). The warrior has a great motor....simple and powerful. It makes the right sounds (for me). It supposedly handles pretty good for a cruiser. It looks really good (again, personal preference). It's pretty fast (12.7 qtr mile is no slouch and there's plenty more where that came from). It already has aftermarket parts and it has only been out a matter of weeks.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the amount of vibration. Of course, having just come off of a Kawasaki Concours, I know a little about vibration: That bike will numb your right hand in about a half hour and it was supposed to be the definitive sport touring bike!

Any more comments on the vibration factor of the new Warrior?
gkbikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:33 AM   #36
dickdastardly
Founding Member

I rode a stroked harley shovelhead as my only bike for 5 years, including cross coutry, until I came to my senses. As far as I'm concerned, the warrior is like the second coming. What little vibration it may transmit to the rider, will be insignificant compared to the vibration of a solid mount hardley ableson (been there, done that, so bite me..) Give me the warriors performance and handling (and style) over the new harleys any day (except the v-rod, but really man, who's got the cash?)

As for me, I'm sticking with my V-max, baby!
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:18 AM   #37
hawkrider
Founding Member

Upfront: I ride a cruiser and a sportbike, A Valkyrie Tourer and a VTR1000 Superhawk. Since getting back into riding a few years ago, "older and wiser" I have a full compliment of leather and protective gear. Vanson jackets with armour, Arai helmets, armoured gloves, quality boots and so on.

I too do not understand riding without the benefit of full protection. Please don't missunderstand "do what you want and do not let anyone tell you what to do".

But style over effective protection is hard to understand. I have known many people over the years who have had some sort of mishap while riding, many of these included minor or major injury. More often than not had he or she been wearing the right gear the injury would have been substantially reduced if not eliminated. Simply wearing good gloves can help a bunch in a low speed getoff.

My own sister recieved a severe leg burn because she and her boyfriend thought it would be cool to cruise the beach in their bathing suits. It was cool until the front tire hooked a soft spot dumping them both and leaving her under the bike with the pipe on her bare leg.

Most Harley riders and jap cruiser riders seem to be focused on the visual, good for them. But don't expect everyone to be impressed by your choice.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:29 PM   #38
Lucas9
Registered Member

OK it sounds good, but tell us what it was like to ride.
Lucas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 05:17 AM   #39
g-bear
Founding Member

There you go, Brent. Anyway, what is all this fuss about your decision to pick the Mean Streak as the winner? It's not like Kawasaki got a prize. Hey, nobody died either, right?

Oh, by the way, just my personal opinion, but when I finally saw the V-ROD at the dealer, its looks were way poorer than what pictures show. What is that thing wrapping the fake tank, aluminum foil? It looks like it would wrinkle if you touch it. I'd like to see a black V-ROD!

g-
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:04 AM   #40
itchface
Founding Member

Longride, I don't want to pick a fight with a gen-you-whine Harley rider like yourself, so I'll pick my words carefully: You are a complete bufoon!

What Gabe the Cab Driver accurately points out is that though the typical H-D rider sees himself as a rugged individualistic, the fact is that there is a incredible amount of uniformity among them, which makes them (you?) look like yet another in a huge flock of sheep.

Loud pipes (saves lives? if this is their concern, they should also fit strobe lights on a pole to be sure they're seen by everyone... oh, that wouldn't look cool; never mind), same attire (have you ever seen a Harley rider wearing an Aerostich suit?), same penchant for short rides (from bar to saloon to pub and back home; anything longer, break out the trailer), same riders with undeveloped skills who often hold up traffic and who think that anyone who rides faster than they do must have a death-wish, etc, etc.

Gabe's observations are right on the money. The reason this subject comes up so often is not "Harley-Envy" at all. It's that with the growing number of really great bikes available, it is absolutely amazing that Harleys still sell (to a clearly uninformed public) at a rate far surpassing anything else. The idiocy of this is excellent fodder for conversation.

So, longride, what you see as envy is actually ridicule. Is this making some sense to you now, or is your brain damaged from insufficient protection from your novelty helmet?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote