Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2002, 06:30 AM   #21
bjcamp
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Feedback

"Power" cruisers that are slower than a Harley??? I'll keep my Vmax...
bjcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2002, 06:30 AM   #22
hawkrider
Founding Member

Got to love the Valkyrie, I love mine. Anybody I know who has ridden the Valk thinks they are a great bike. The Valkyrie recieved the most positive ink of any bike ever introduced, period! But then those folks actually rode the Valk.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:20 AM   #23
yabaric
Registered Member

I'm with you. All of these bikes are slow because they need to maintain an image. I bet I am more comfortable on my ZRX 1200 Kawaski then any of those cruiser riders and I have speed, power and a decent lean angle. OH, I also have abou $5,000 more cash left over.
yabaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:24 AM   #24
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Cruisers. Hm.

I just don't get it. Last night, driving my cab, I was carrying a pair of passengers through the Broadway tunnel behind a Harley of some sort. The rider and his passenger were wearing the standard winter dress of the Harleyisti- 1/2 helmets with Jesse James bandannas over their mounths, weird clear safety glasses, assless chaps with jeans underneath (thank God!) and all the other fringed, made-in-China black leather accoutremont. The bike, some kind of big twin (TM), had straight pipes, of course, which in the tile-lined Broadway tunnel make an earth-shattering din. He was riding a steady 45, and I zipped my crappy dodge minivan around him to get away from the noise.

As we were exiting the tunnel, a rider on an R1100R, dressed in sensible Cordura riding gear, his bike completely silent easily zipped around both of us and noiselessly zoomed up Broadway. My cab and the Hog (TM) missed the green light, and I looked over at the couple on their dream bike. It was shaking mightily at idle. The woman on the back looked over at me with an "Aren't I cool" smug expression on her face. I rolled my eyes so far I think I hurt myself.

Can somebody please explain to me why a motorcycle with more displacement than a small car is virtually unrideable at more than 70 mph due to windblast and vibration? What's the point of this? And why do people think the're so cool riding these things?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 09:22 AM   #25
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default You want one...REAL bad...

or you wouldn't feel the need to put them down. They're doing something they enjoy doing, that's the "point." No rocket science or crotchrocket needed. Not my style either but more power to 'em (figuratively, of course
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:24 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Cruisers. Hm.

What I don't get is how Harleys get mentioned in almost every thread where there is absolutely no reason to bring them up. It has to be some kind of weird facination with them or something. Freud would call it "Harley Envy" You don't have one, can't afford one, so you post here. Then you "claim" you can't ride a Harley over 70 due to windblast and vibration? Are you kidding? Obviously most of these guys have never ridden one, and really sound as if they do more armchair riding than real.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:13 AM   #27
Islandcomm
Registered Member

No *****. And I'll keep my Valk.
Islandcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:40 PM   #28
Gabe
Registered Member

1. Leather. The type of leather I see these people wear (usually worn only when it's cold, because we all know you only wear protective clothing to keep you warm) is of dubious quality, unarmored, and purposely obsolete. Why leave the ass out of protective trousers? I don't get it. Roadrace clothing is made of bright, colorful colors so observers can easily pick out individual riders in a pack, (try scoring or timing a bunch of guys all dressed in black!) and so they are visible to other road users. Why cruiser clothing is so outdated, poorly made and inconspicuous is really incomprehensible to me.

2. My SV650, when stock, has a very upright, neutral riding position with little weight on the wrists. Also, the passenger seat (or in Harley speak, "***** pad") is much larger, softer and equipped with lower footpegs and a much better grabrail than almost any non-touring cruiser I've seen. Same goes for the aforementioned R1100R, or any number of non-cruising bikes I could mention.

3. The "I'm so cool" thing deserves some explanation. It just seems to me that folks on Harleys have an arrogance to them that defies logic. It's just a bike! Get over it and yourself! I like my ride too, and it gets a lot of attention, believe it or not, but it's just a bike. Metal and plastic and rubber.

4. I dig that you like different things, and I dig Harleys as well- there seems to be a lot of nice build quality, and a certain weight to the things that makes them seem more substantial than most things you can buy these days. But to make a quasi-religous cult out of the act of buying and (occasionally) riding them...I don't get it.

That's all I want to know. Will someone explain this to me?

Old 01-18-2002, 12:43 PM   #29
Gabe
Registered Member

Default No Put-Down

Re-read my post, Mr. Orthopod, because I don't put down anybody. I just state my observations. Any put-downs are filled in by you. Even Harley guys admit they don't want to go too fast, and that their bikes shake and need extra care to keep on the road.

All I wanted to know was this: What is this all about? Tangibly and objectively?

Old 01-18-2002, 03:00 PM   #30
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: No Put-Down

1) Modern Harleys don't really need extra care. I have had two fuel injected FLs (both Ultra Classics). The only thing I ever did was change the oil and the tires when they were worn out.

2) Most Harleys handle well compared to similar bikes from other manufacturers. That's why most magazine articles say "it handles suprisingly well." Example -- go back and look at the long term tests done on the Electra Glide Standard by Motorcyclist magazine, a mag definitely not enamored with Harley.

3) Many Harley riders were leather at all times. Most of it is not armored. Then again, what percentage of sport bike riders actually wear good protective gear at all times? And don't say you perceive that sports bike riders are better about it. Absent a study, it means little. Around my area, leather jackets and blue jeans are normal for harley guys; blue jeans and some sort of jacket for sport bikes. Do I know percentages? Of course not.

4) I really don't see this thing about Harley guys trying to look cool. When I noticed someone looking at me on my Harley, I would look back. If it was a little kid, I would often smile and wave. I did the same when I road a Honda CB 750, I do the same on my Buell. What kind of look did you give that woman on the back of the Harley? One of disgust? Some Harley riders are assholes. Some sport bike guys are assholes. Most riders I have met on all types of bikes just like to ride.

5) I never rode too fast on my Harleys -- that wasn't what they were about. They were fun on twisty roads; I could also tour for weeks on it (them). When my wife and I didn't have time for the backroads because we wasted too much time somewhere, we could hop on the highway, set the cruise on 80 and do 700 miles before sunset. Get up the next morning and go again. No, you don't ride a Harley to outrun a sport bike. It is a different kind of experience, but it is extremely pleasurable none-the-less. As for the shaking, it is noticeable at idle. However, Harleys I have ridden -- and my Buell -- transmit far fewer vibes at highway speeds than most inline fours I have tried. Most of these Harleys were rubber mounted -- it really makes a difference.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote