Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-12-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati 998 Reader Feedback

Are there any "bad" bikes out there anymore? Modern bikes all seem to be good or brilliant at what they are designed for (even if some people judge them according to what they are not designed for). If I could afford a ply bike the Duke would be high on the list...until then my old GS1000 will just have to do everything!
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
LikesAllBikes
Founding Member

As a recent Duc convert, I was impressed all along with the looks of the 748/9** series. I bought a 748 and was truly impressed after a short time. Now I have a 998S Bayliss on order - and can't wait. Besides being functionally excellent, they are truly engineered art, at least in the eyes of this beholder.
LikesAllBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:53 AM   #3
Hawkster
Founding Member

I agree. The overall quality of modern bikes must make it tough to be a motojournalist these days. I guess you gotta have serious skills (or personal biases, like being really tall or having a unique riding style) to differentiate between these bikes. I rode a Y2K Kawi ZX-6R at Keith Code's school. This bike finished last in many 600 shootouts, but it had a good suspension, turned well and after I adjusted to its inline-four powerband (I ride a tame V-twin 650 Hawk GT), found it to be a truly addictive ride!

What really seems surprising to me are the reports that the new Ducatis are very "refined." This seems to imply that they might be more reliable than older Ducs.

Cost is always a major issue with Ducatis, of course, but if I hear that they've been trouble-free for a few years, maybe a used 2002 998 will find its way to my garage.

Warren
Old 01-13-2002, 02:35 PM   #4
runner00
Founding Member

I am truly amazed at what Ducati has done in the last six or seven years and they just

keep doing it year after year. I have a fast bike, not a Ducati, but certainly faster than the average street machine. Now I have some speeding tickets and I almost have to ride

a fast bike slowly or not ride at all. I'm actually thinking of buying a mellow cruiser as a

second bike to wait out the tickets coming off the license. My point is here, that with bikes

like the 998 which are state of the art fast I can't imagine how riders are going to avoid

tickets. Maybe we need an article on radar detectors in between these articles on state of

the art fast bikes.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:02 PM   #5
minime
Founding Member

You'll recall the ZX-6R has won our recent 600 shootouts here. And the bike also won the 600 Supersport title (Eric Bostrom).

It may not be the raciest bike out of the crate, but it's the best bike for the most people most of the time. Obviously, there is a lot of potential "under the hood" as well.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:04 PM   #6
minime
Founding Member

Radar detectors are fine an dandy, though they're not fool-proof. And have you heard of "instant-on" radar? No radar detector will help you there.

The best thing to avoid tickets? Pick your spots! Ride at a safe and sane pace on the street, and find yourself a track to go peg-scraping at.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:47 PM   #7
FieryErmine
Founding Member

Yeah, I boogie at the track and sometimes in the canyons. I have tons of fun on my GSX-R600 and no points on my record. It can be done. Ride sanely.

Robin.
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:53 PM   #8
TheFox
Founding Member

I'm looking to find a miniaturized police radio transponder detector for use in concert with a Valentine One (THE ultimate radar detector) for total protection.

Anyone know where I can get one?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:22 AM   #9
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default You need a GSXR1000

and pretend the rev limiter is at 7000 rpm. Or get a Buell. Think about how fast you have to be going just to get near the powerband in first gear on most bikes. Bikes that do 80+mph at redline in first are a blast anytime I don't get caught, but big torque hooking up right away that can give you a thrill up any on ramp might make you a little more likely to satisfied with chopping it at the speed limit. The Ducati would probably be less of a license loser for me than a 600. In fact, so would the GSXR1000, most of the time. Unless they turn up on one of my secret roads, then I'd just be screwed.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:13 AM   #10
CheezSorce
Founding Member

How right you are, the danger for Ducati is loosing its degree if exclusivity if production continues to increase.
CheezSorce is offline   Reply With Quote