Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-16-2002, 10:19 AM   #31
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Is a 748 a better street bike?

Yes, it is a better street bike. But the 900SS is even a better choice. With a few tweaks, it will put out 90hp, which is more than you need, has mucho torque, and great handling.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2002, 02:19 PM   #32
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 998 Reader Feedback

Okay, I've heard my 900SS mentioned a few times and thought this would be worth a shot... Proposed shootout:

Ducati 900SS

Buell XB9R

Some other pseudo naked air-cooled street bike. (Assuming they get the half-faired SS)

Ehhh.... Errrr.... Anyone??? Okay so maybe it's just a comparo.

Of course MO's not likely to have the XB for at least a couple of months, but I thought I'd at least plant the seed.

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:19 PM   #33
Grover
Founding Member

Okay, I've heard my 900SS mentioned a few times and thought this would be worth a shot... Proposed shootout:

Ducati 900SS

Buell XB9R

Some other pseudo naked air-cooled street bike. (Assuming they get the half-faired SS)

Ehhh.... Errrr.... Anyone??? Okay so maybe it's just a comparo.

Of course MO's not likely to have the XB for at least a couple of months, but I thought I'd at least plant the seed.

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #34
Hawkster
Founding Member

If you're riding fast in the canyons, you still have to watch out for "the man." My strategy is to ride near the speed limit on the straights and "have fun" in the curves. I haven't seen many cops hanging out at the apex, but tons of them hang out on the straights.

A friend of mine likes to ride fast all the time. His philosophy is "going fast in the straight sections gets you to the next turn faster." I disagree, but at least he's always in control--and within his limits--so he hasn't been tagged in the last year or two.

I guess if you're riding in a manner that lets you spot cops before they can get a bead on you, you're probably okay.

Warren
Old 01-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #35
FrankS1
Founding Member

The times I've heard the reliability and maintenance cost comments, the folks making the comment obvously couldn't even remove the fairings from their Japanese machines, and a few more questions show they haven't the faintest idea what they're talking about. At least one owner of a shim under bucket machine just looked blank when I mentioned that pulling the camshafts had to be quite a chore.

Without some mechanical skill and a couple dial indicators with suitable holders, the 4 valve machines would indeed be a chore for the home mechanic. The two valve air cooled Ducs are easy.

But remember, after the first couple times, the cams and shims wear VERY slowly. Checks to preclude expensive damage are a good idea, but replacement is a rarity.

To cut to the chase, I own an oldie, a 907IE, which has liquid cooling and fuel injection. It has let me down twice in 48,000 miles. Once the computer failed, but the dealer (bless his heart) spotted and repaired a break on the circuit board. Once a fuel line popped and began squirting 45 psi gasoline. No fire thank goodness. Moral is, replace the fuel pump lines every three years, and hope for the best with the computer.

Thanks to the Pro Italia video, it's a snap to measure and re-shim the valves, with one little exception. The radiator on the 907IE gets in the way, so you have to loosen it and shove it away to get at the horizontal cylinder inlet. You can check clearances easily enough, but the radiator has to be kept away with strong bungee cords for replacement of the shims.

Being an earlier model, the voltage regulator failed, with some warning so it didn't leave me stranded. I'm told that the electrics on the newer machines are fine. (I also own two antique British bikes, so I know about bad electrics; the Ducati merely had some minor weaknesses.)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 03:19 AM   #36
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default That's only 4000 miles a year

that's not even one valve adjustment per year, unless it's just to get it out of the way. If that's all a person rides, I don't think it's necessary to worry about the reliability of any new bike.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #37
ollie
Founding Member

Uniden BCT-12. Simply awesome.

-Ollie

ollie is offline   Reply With Quote