Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-14-2002, 11:21 AM   #21
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default TFI nuff said...

$650 for a 6000mi routine maintenance, huh?

To burst your ignorance bliss about what others are paying, I've owned Japanese, Harley and Triumph and it's about 1/6 to 1/3 that if you just take it in and say "do whatever it says in the book." Triumph has a rather vexxing shim bucket setup that I happily let the dealer adjust and last total bill for that service and everything else including freakin' $11 a quart oil cuz I forgot to bring my own was just $210 and I though THAT was steep!
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #22
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: You need a GSXR1000

If you've never ridden a bike in the 916 family you can't really judge. 916's ride differently than the four cylinder bikes (or the Buell for that matter). I'm not that worried about the fact that my 916 (my only bike) isn't the fastest sportbike, IMO, it's the most fun sportbike to ride (I ride mine to work) and the fun factor is what counts to me. If for some reason, I needed a new bike, I'd go to very great lengths to get another bike in the 916 family (preferably a 998S).
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:38 AM   #23
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default Re: TFI nuff said...

I think he said $650 for both..which would imply ~$325 each. Still pretty steep, not quite as gigantic.

Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 06:11 PM   #24
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati 998 Reader Feedback

I have ridden about every brand, and I have found that Ducatis do cost a little more to maintain, especially if you have to deal with the four valve head (748/996). Reliability is not a problem, as long as you get the service done when you're supposed to. Every once in a while you'll get a Duc that needs a little "sorting out" but those are becoming more rare. Ducati suffered in the past from numerous problems, but 99 and forward are much better bikes in terms of reliability. Ducati tightened up their QC and changed suppliers. Certain old vulnerabilites in the electrical system were remedied by replacing Italian suppliers with German suppliers. As for the "terrible" valve adjustment, the two valve head is not really a problem to adjust. If you can do any valves, you can do those. The four valve head is best left to someone with experience. The real problem with Ducati maintenance is that some dealers will flat out gouge you for valve adjustments, though most don't. I recommend getting two or three estimates by phone. Even if you can't get to the other dealers, at least you have a foundation for a good argument. Do Ducatis really handle better? Yes. Do I miss my 750SS? Yes. Am I saving for another? Yes.

But the more important point is that a 750/900SS is really a Ducati for the street. Yes the 748/998 is prettier, but it's more expensive to maintain, has a hefty price tag and is likely to garner a great deal of attention from John Law, partially due to the fact that it absolutely begs to be ridden fast. And, with the kind help of a video tape sold by one of the larger LA dealers, you can adjust the valves on a 900SS yourself. After the first time, it won't take more than an hour, unless you drop one of the little half circlips into the engine. Then, you're screwed.

Oh, and remember that Ducatis like to be ridden hard, so use first quality oil, always. I'm fond of Mobil One V-Twin M/C oil. But do ride it hard. If you baby it, it will not appreciate it. If I may be permitted a little less than PC: "Italian bikes are like Italian women, if you don't slap 'em around every once in a while, they think you don't love them."

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 08:34 PM   #25
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default The OTHER Italian company

After attending the 2002 Annual Motorcycle Show at Jacob Javits Center in NY, I am starting to find the Aprilla line up more impressive than Ducati's. I am writing from a place of ignorance because I have not rode either brand but, the RSV Mille seems like a much more balanced street machine. The Aprilla also seems more comfortable and, in my opinion, better looking. According to mag reports including MO, the Aprillia is also more reliable. If I was going to plunk down more than 10k on a bike, I would have a Futura in my garage.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:50 AM   #26
ciao
Founding Member

Default Is a 748 a better street bike?

A major practical limitation of open-class bikes on the street is the fact that itÂ’s difficult to stay deeply in the powerband on account of the insane speeds that very quickly result. As a result, a lot of riding (even if it is quite fast) is done with the engine droning well below its capacity.

With that in mind, wouldnÂ’t a 748 be more fun for street riding than a 998 because at a given speed youÂ’re utilizing more of the powerband?

I know the same issue might be raised contrasting inline 4 600Â’s to open-class 4Â’s, but the 600Â’s seem to really suffer from the lack of torque. With DucatiÂ’s low-end torque, though, wouldnÂ’t this be less of a problem with the 748?

ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:05 AM   #27
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Is a 748 a better street bike?

I am in total agreement with you. I ride standard bikes mostly and currently have a ZRX1200. My previous bike was a 93' bandit 400. Being that I do a lot of distance rididng, which includes highways and twisties, the 1200 is more practical due to its torque. The Bandit 400 was not only quicker turning, but also required a lot more imput from the rider to be effective. (A lot more shift lever usage) The Bandit required me to be a better rider, which for backroads is a good thing.

In general I would like to see at least 90 rwhp and at least 50+ft/lbs torque on a dyno. I eventually would like to throw a set of hard bags on the ZRX for my touring/commuting machine and get a good backroad blaster. I am keeping my eye on the new Buell XB9R to see how it holds up (reliability?). The 748 would also fill this niche perfectly. Some would recommend a 600, but like you said, they are a bit wheezy on the tourque.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:44 AM   #28
dickdastardly
Founding Member

Default Re: Is a 748 a better street bike?

I remember riding my friends 97 748, it

had the best handling I have ever experienced,

and I think it was so much fun partly because

I could really get aggressive on the throttle,

and get the thing revving away, which I don't think you could do so much on the 998 (on the street). Of course my judgement of the duc's

handling may have been biased by the fact that I was riding a 96 speed triple at the time,

fun bike but just not in the same league handling-wise. Either way, someday I'll be getting me a 748 or 996/998 to play with, it's

only money.....
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:37 PM   #29
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: A lot of buck for the bang

A weird counterpoint to the price gripe: I was sitting around with three non-biking (but still very dear) friends on Saturday night, trying to elaborate on the existence of the yuppie Harley poseur type, and none of them batted an eye when I stated that your typical big Milwaukee product was around the thick end of $15,000. (Heavily gesticulated sweeping statements about how that was well beyond average went unacknowledged.)

Also, I seem to remember that most of the reviews of the 916 when it first came out kind of accepted the price (around $14,000 at the time, methinks) as perfectly in line for something that exotic and desirable and so on. The phrase "That doesn't seem like a lot anymore" from the CW review sticks out, as much in testimony to the gloriousness of the bike as any kind of communal delusion the testers might have been suffering.

Inevitably, the bottom line is just that: It's a consumer society, and the market is controlled by the ability for the customer to accept the price for a specific product. Is it too expensive? Yeah, if your finances dictate that you're stuck humping around on a Honda built during the Carter Administration (or even a ZX-11 from Def Leppard's glory days). Does everyone lining up to get one think so? Depends on what their spouses say, probably, but that doesn't matter.

Besides, there's always the intangibles to savor: Something that approaches Ferrari levels of cultish mystique, never mind the incredible thrill of the ride, costs about as much as a typical Honda Civic or Ford Focus. Seems like a bargain to me.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 07:50 AM   #30
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 998 Reader Feedback

You'll like it as long as your not tall. 20 minutes on a 996 was all I could stand, then again I'm 6'6. Other than the pretzel factor the ride was awesome.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote