Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default New Navy Motor Vehicle (and Motorcycle) Policy

Well, the hammer has fallen!

The Chief of Naval Operations has issued Naval Administration Message (NAVADMIN) 310-08. It sets forth new policy on M/V safety and also details new motorcycle-related policy.

The motivation? "IN FY08, 33 SAILORS (and 25 Marines - pr)PERISHED IN MOTORCYCLE INCIDENTS ALONE. THAT IS MORE THAN THE NUMBER OF SAILORS WE LOST IN OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM AND OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM COMBINED THIS YEAR. THIS IS A TRAGEDY FOR OUR SERVICE, CONSTITUTES A SIGNIFICANT IMPEDIMENT TO NAVAL READINESS, AND REQUIRES GREATER VIGILANCE AT EVERY LEVEL OF COMMAND."

I've attached the motorcycle-specific verbiage here. Note: Naval Messages are all uppercase. 'The first khaki' means the first (most junior) Senior Enlisted or Officer in the members' Chain of Command.

4. WITH REGARD TO MOTORCYCLES, TRENDS INDICATE AN INCREASE IN RECKLESSNESS AND NONCOMPLIANCE WITH TRAFFIC LAWS AMONG YOUNGER RIDERS, ESPECIALLY SPORT-BIKE RIDERS. ACCORDINGLY, THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS ARE DIRECTED TO SAFEGUARD MILITARY PERSONNEL AND TO IMPROVE NAVAL READINESS.

A. MOTORCYCLE OWNERSHIP IS A SIGNIFICANT RESPONSIBILITY. PRIOR TO PURCHASING A MOTORCYCLE, ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL WILL CONSULT WITH THE FIRST KHAKI IN THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND TO BE CERTAIN THEY ARE AWARE OF THE RESPONSIBILITIES THAT COME WITH OWNERSHIP. THESE RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE PROPER LICENSING, INSURANCE, REGISTRATION, TRAINING, AND MANDATORY WEAR OF PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE). REF A PERTAINS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE AT
HTTP://WWW.SAFETYCENTER.NAVY.MIL/ASHORE/MOTORVEHICLE/MOTORCYCLE.

B. ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL WHO OWN A MOTORCYCLE, EVEN IF THEY DO NOT INTEND TO RIDE ON BASE, WILL PERSONALLY REPORT MOTORCYCLE OWNERSHIP TO THEIR COMMANDER, COMMANDING OFFICER, OR OFFICER IN CHARGE, VIA THE FIRST KHAKI IN THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND WITHIN 48 HOURS OF RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE. AS THIS IS A GENERAL ORDER, FAILURE TO REPORT OWNERSHIP OF A MOTORCYCLE IS PUNISHABLE UNDER THE UCMJ. COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS, AND OFFICERS IN CHARGE ARE TO ENSURE
DISTRIBUTION OF THIS NAVADMIN TO ALL HANDS.

C. COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS, OFFICERS IN CHARGE, OR THE SENIOR NAVAL MEMBER ASSIGNED TO AGENCIES OR ORGANIZATIONS HEADED BY A CIVILIAN ARE REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN AN ACCURATE LIST OF MILITARY MOTORCYCLE RIDERS IN THEIR COMMAND, UNIT, AGENCY, OR ORGANIZATION. THESE OFFICERS MUST ENSURE THAT ALL RIDERS HAVE A VALID MOTORCYCLE DRIVER'S LICENSE, VEHICLE REGISTRATION FOR STREET MOTORCYCLES, REQUIRED INSURANCE, AND HAVE ATTENDED OR ARE SCHEDULED TO ATTEND THE REQUIRED MOTORCYCLE SAFETY FOUNDATION (MSF) TRAINING COURSES, TO INCLUDE REQUIRED REFRESHER TRAINING AT THE INTERVALS PRESCRIBED IN REF A. MOTORCYCLE TRAINING POCS BY REGION ARE LISTED AT
HTTP://WWW.SAFETYCENTER.NAVY.MIL/ASHORE/MOTORVEHICLE/MOTORCYCLE-TRAINING-POC.ASP. ADDITIONALLY, THEY WILL APPOINT A COMMAND MOTORCYCLE SAFETY REPRESENTATIVE WHO WILL REPORT THE COMMAND'S MOTORCYCLE RIDER DEMOGRAPHICS TO THE IMMEDIATE SUPERIOR IN COMMAND (ISIC) AND ON THE MOTORCYCLE CENSUS LOCATED ON THE NAVAL SAFETY CENTER'S WEB SITE.

This policy applies to Navy Civilian employees; application to Contractors is not yet determined. It specifically mentions that failure to wear proper PPE is a violation of the UCMJ. That apparently applies when riding off-station. Also, since this is from the CNO, you will soon see the Marine Commandant's message to the Corps.
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Where's my bag of exclamation points. Oh, there it is....

IT"S ALL BUSHES FAULT! and CHENEY! and BIG OIL!

With Obama in charge, the roadways will become like marshmallow. Drivers will be too busy chanting hymns to pull out in front of motorcyclists.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Well, the hammer has fallen!

The Chief of Naval Operations has issued Naval Administration Message (NAVADMIN) 310-08. It sets forth new policy on M/V safety and also details new motorcycle-related policy.

The motivation? "IN FY08, 33 SAILORS (and 25 Marines - pr)PERISHED IN MOTORCYCLE INCIDENTS ALONE. THAT IS MORE THAN THE NUMBER OF SAILORS WE LOST IN OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM AND OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM COMBINED THIS YEAR. THIS IS A TRAGEDY FOR OUR SERVICE, CONSTITUTES A SIGNIFICANT IMPEDIMENT TO NAVAL READINESS, AND REQUIRES GREATER VIGILANCE AT EVERY LEVEL OF COMMAND."

I've attached the motorcycle-specific verbiage here. Note: Naval Messages are all uppercase. 'The first khaki' means the first (most junior) Senior Enlisted or Officer in the members' Chain of Command.

4. WITH REGARD TO MOTORCYCLES, TRENDS INDICATE AN INCREASE IN RECKLESSNESS AND NONCOMPLIANCE WITH TRAFFIC LAWS AMONG YOUNGER RIDERS, ESPECIALLY SPORT-BIKE RIDERS. ACCORDINGLY, THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS ARE DIRECTED TO SAFEGUARD MILITARY PERSONNEL AND TO IMPROVE NAVAL READINESS.

A. MOTORCYCLE OWNERSHIP IS A SIGNIFICANT RESPONSIBILITY. PRIOR TO PURCHASING A MOTORCYCLE, ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL WILL CONSULT WITH THE FIRST KHAKI IN THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND TO BE CERTAIN THEY ARE AWARE OF THE RESPONSIBILITIES THAT COME WITH OWNERSHIP. THESE RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE PROPER LICENSING, INSURANCE, REGISTRATION, TRAINING, AND MANDATORY WEAR OF PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE). REF A PERTAINS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE AT
HTTP://WWW.SAFETYCENTER.NAVY.MIL/ASHORE/MOTORVEHICLE/MOTORCYCLE.

B. ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL WHO OWN A MOTORCYCLE, EVEN IF THEY DO NOT INTEND TO RIDE ON BASE, WILL PERSONALLY REPORT MOTORCYCLE OWNERSHIP TO THEIR COMMANDER, COMMANDING OFFICER, OR OFFICER IN CHARGE, VIA THE FIRST KHAKI IN THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND WITHIN 48 HOURS OF RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE. AS THIS IS A GENERAL ORDER, FAILURE TO REPORT OWNERSHIP OF A MOTORCYCLE IS PUNISHABLE UNDER THE UCMJ. COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS, AND OFFICERS IN CHARGE ARE TO ENSURE
DISTRIBUTION OF THIS NAVADMIN TO ALL HANDS.

C. COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS, OFFICERS IN CHARGE, OR THE SENIOR NAVAL MEMBER ASSIGNED TO AGENCIES OR ORGANIZATIONS HEADED BY A CIVILIAN ARE REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN AN ACCURATE LIST OF MILITARY MOTORCYCLE RIDERS IN THEIR COMMAND, UNIT, AGENCY, OR ORGANIZATION. THESE OFFICERS MUST ENSURE THAT ALL RIDERS HAVE A VALID MOTORCYCLE DRIVER'S LICENSE, VEHICLE REGISTRATION FOR STREET MOTORCYCLES, REQUIRED INSURANCE, AND HAVE ATTENDED OR ARE SCHEDULED TO ATTEND THE REQUIRED MOTORCYCLE SAFETY FOUNDATION (MSF) TRAINING COURSES, TO INCLUDE REQUIRED REFRESHER TRAINING AT THE INTERVALS PRESCRIBED IN REF A. MOTORCYCLE TRAINING POCS BY REGION ARE LISTED AT
HTTP://WWW.SAFETYCENTER.NAVY.MIL/ASHORE/MOTORVEHICLE/MOTORCYCLE-TRAINING-POC.ASP. ADDITIONALLY, THEY WILL APPOINT A COMMAND MOTORCYCLE SAFETY REPRESENTATIVE WHO WILL REPORT THE COMMAND'S MOTORCYCLE RIDER DEMOGRAPHICS TO THE IMMEDIATE SUPERIOR IN COMMAND (ISIC) AND ON THE MOTORCYCLE CENSUS LOCATED ON THE NAVAL SAFETY CENTER'S WEB SITE.

This policy applies to Navy Civilian employees; application to Contractors is not yet determined. It specifically mentions that failure to wear proper PPE is a violation of the UCMJ. That apparently applies when riding off-station. Also, since this is from the CNO, you will soon see the Marine Commandant's message to the Corps.
Wonder if they would have this much of a problem if the deaths were due to fighting the war for our country?
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

If you look at the statistic, our (young) guys are actually safer in the combat zones than at home on our streets.

Of course, the food tends to be better at home...
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Could be worse. When I was ported in Yokosuka in 1969 some idiot MM3 managed to ace himself out on a Yammer250 off base, drunk. The Captain of my tin can simply issued an order denying the entire crew permission to buy any motorcycle. When my destroyer squadron steamed back to Dago in 1970 every ship's helo deck was covered in new bikes. Except ours.

The DOD has the authority to simply order the military members to get rid of their bikes. Or to issue horsepower limits... well they can order just about anything. Hope that doesn't happen.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
If you look at the statistic, our (young) guys are actually safer in the combat zones than at home on our streets.

Of course, the food tends to be better at home...
You might rather die than eat MREs 24/7. You WOULD rather die if you had to eat C-Rats 24/7. At least the MRE's have a much larger variety of lousy food, not the same 12 choices 3 times a day, seven days a week, 31 days a month, day after day after day after day........
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,448
Default

When I was in the navy at NAS Oceana, we had to take a safety course to get a gate sticker, I was riding a new '78 XL250S and some E6 who was on a bagger 750 twin Kawasaki (seemed to be a lot of those around) was in charge of our gaggle of riders, most of them newbies. So we rode around Damneck and back to VA Beach and the 1st class chided me for not keeping "a steady hand on my machine". So at the end of the course after we got our paperwork to get the gate sticker, I hooked a 5 block one handed wheelie past everybody on my way out the gate. Putzes.
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Last edited by mscuddy : 11-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

MRE's aren't too bad. The C rats and "emergency" lunches we used to get working 24 and carry on boiler cleaning were f'n vile. I don't know how long that stuff had been sitting there but it was nearly inedible. It was bad enough being jammed in a boiler drum soaking wet and freezing your ass off covered in soot and red dust. Then having to come out eat some of that crap smoke a cigerette or two and catch an hour sleep sitting on a bucket before you went back in. It's a good thing we were all teenagers, an adult would have told them to get screwed...

If the Military decides you wear gear, then you wear it. A violation of the UCMJ means XO's or Captains Mast which can be restriction to the boat, a fine, loss of rank, even brig time. They tend to not f*ck around.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Wonder if they would have this much of a problem if the deaths were due to fighting the war for our country?
Nope,they get paid to die in war, not on bikes!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
sfcdjevans
Registered Member
 
sfcdjevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 43.47N-76.48W
Posts: 956
Default

NY State had motorcycle fatalities drop 11% this year. Don't ask me how.

Hmmm canned pears. Good thing I liked eggs in a can.
__________________
3425 miles from Reading, UK
Why their heads on a pike of course. If I thought it would do any good.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off