Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default More Marines Die on Bikes than on the Front

Marine motorcycle deaths top their Iraq combat fatalities - CNN.com

Guys, be careful out there!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Next thing you know, the Liberal Democrats are going to set up a $50 million dollar program to train sailors and Marines on safe motorcycle riding techniques.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
ejis
Founding Member

No need for the Dems to do it - the DoN already has. There are new training requirements for all Navy/Marine Corps personnel (uniformed or not), including an annual requirement for sportbike riders. It really is a big problem, and it's being taken very seriously.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

When I came back from the earlier Useless War of the 60's I did my best to wipe myself out for a couple years. Fortunately for me (but not for Ken) the most horsepower available was the Honda750 SOHC. Still, I gave it a good run. I think it's the wild sense of freedom after spending so much time with the constant gut wrench of anxiety one experiences in a war zone. You just don't give a flying f*** what a buncha whining middleclass nannies think. You put your life on the line for them and for the most part they shyt on you every chance they get.

Some of these returned soldiers have had upwards of a million dollars in training investment. So, it's the practical thing to do.. to try to reduce the injuries and fatalities... as well as it's the right thing to do. Too bad that our incompetent govt has to spend 10-100 times as much money on things than is necessary. The bike training is the lowest part of the cost. It's the hiring of the dozens of worthless civilian paper-pushers to "administrate" (read - draw a fat paycheck for doing nothing) the programs that makes a simple task become an exorbitant waste.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
When I came back from the earlier Useless War of the 60's I did my best to wipe myself out for a couple years. Fortunately for me (but not for Ken) the most horsepower available was the Honda750 SOHC.
To the contrary: the website would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinions. Likewise with politics. Sort of like living in Japan, I suspect.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default They are trained in most cases

If you are active duty and want to ride a bike you MUST take the base MSF course in order to ride on base. I have to deal with this in my business and know it to absolutely true. The larger statement is that these men and women are coming back and taking the course. Yet, their fatality rate is high. Is this compaired to the national average of non-military MSF course attendees? If those two numbers are different then I would say that those trainers need to use a more active stance in education since these guys are fearless warriors that believe in a certain immortality (sp?). If they are the same I'd say the entire system needs to be updated and more rigorous.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
It's the hiring of the dozens of worthless civilian paper-pushers to "administrate" (read - draw a fat paycheck for doing nothing) the programs that makes a simple task become an exorbitant waste.
The entire program is contracted out. I have some friends that are involved. Qualified riders are in demand. Need a job?

That means the only gov't civilians involved are the contracting officers. Are there inefficiencies involved? Sure, but a lot of the blame comes from legislative requirements.

I was involved in setting up the initial training program for our brigade in the late 70s. There were no formal requirements back then, just a handbook from the MIC.

I took a re-cert last year. They've changed a few things. Nyuk, nyuk!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
It's the hiring of the dozens of worthless civilian paper-pushers to "administrate" (read - draw a fat paycheck for doing nothing) the programs that makes a simple task become an exorbitant waste.
Man... how do i get one of those jobs?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When I was in boot camp in San Diego, there were these motorcycle rental places all just a few yards from the main gate at MCRD & NRTC. We as squids were forbidden to even go near these places, or get written up for "destruction of govt, property" but the grunts rented every CB750 they could get their hands on, and you'd see 'em in swimsuits and slappers riding double over to blacks beach to spy on the nude teenyboppers. Also would see them with giant swatches of road rash and plaster with bent and twisted CB's being carted back to the rental places in the back of tow trucks. Finally the rental bike places went the way of the dodo and now all the grunts have to ruin themselves on are mopeds and bicycles.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

First thing I did when I got out of the Nav was buy a 750 Kawasaki and party my ass off. if you been buttoned down on a boat working 20 hour days for the last 4 years you're due a little party time. Only reason I went back to work full time was because I wanted to put together a Shovelhead and needed more money than I was making doing construction piece work.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote