Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-02-2002, 09:28 AM   #1
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph announces new Speed Four

It looks like they botched the ram air in tackes. Ugly! The rest of the bike is sweet!

Philip

ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2002, 05:34 PM   #2
desertbilly
Founding Member

Shouldn't they call it the Speed Quadruple, to be consistent? Or maybe change the Speed Triple to Speed Three?

Smart ass aside, it looks nice except for those funky air scoops. If they're functional, it looks like the air flows through the aluminum, chassis spars.

If Triumph prices it comparable to its competition, the SV-650's and 600 Bandits, say around $5,995 and does something about those funky snouts, they might sell some. If it's closer to $8,000 and they keep those snouts, well . . .
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default How do they do it?

How do bike makers know exactly what I don't need (in-line 4 with no wind protection) and then make it so appealing that I can hardly control myself from getting it. Damn you Speed 4, 919, and Bandit 1200.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Son of a...

Since I first laid eyes on a Speed Triple I wanted one. I was riding a '72 CB500 with a bald rear tire and wanted one. I was riding a '76 Gold Wing and wanted one. I am now riding a '01 750 Monster and I'm ticked I didn't wait for the Speed Four. Damn Truimph and their secrecy!

Ah well, I probably can't handle the 100 horses yet anyways.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:39 AM   #5
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default It's been rumored for quite awhile...

since at least last summer, but you might not have heard anything about it if you don't read Triumph message boards and mail groups. Somebody in Italy custom made one out of a TT600 a year or so ago (had somewhat more classic cafe-racer styling but essentially the same thing) and response on Triumph boards was so overwhelmingly positive they would have been crazy not to build a prod version.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:59 AM   #6
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Somewhat different compared to SV650...

since the SV is a twin producing less hp but IAL more low-end grunt depending on how much they've retuned the TT600. I've ridden a TT and, like all 600cc full-tilt sportbikes, torque is pathetic until you wind the thing up where it feels like it's gonna explode. As you might guess 4-cyl. 600 sportbikes are not my cup o'tea. Retuned, with a more useful riding position and a saner price, this thing could sell far better than the TT600 but you can bet it'll be priced higher than a SV650 or Bandit 600 (after all this is a Triumph not a Suzuki). Heck, I might even consider one myself.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:51 AM   #7
dcopp
Founding Member

When I first started looking for a bike to replace my Bandit, I started looking at the Speed Triple... Well, the Bandit got replaced, thanks to a woman in a car, but I went with the Daytona, I just couldn't get over the bug-eye headlights. Now they've gone and added airscoops? Come on Triumph, put just a little piece of plastic over those things, clean up the lines, or put a single headlight on it! Like most of the posters here, the air scoops just don't get it for me. Other than cosmetics, I really like the idea of Speed Four. I want one too. Maybe you could take those scoops off with an allen wrench, put some cool little chrome screens over the intake holes, cobble up an aftermarket screen to cover those bug-eyes... Just a small one mind you, put a high rise carbon pipe on it, fender eliminator, flush mount signals... Hell, how much?
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:46 AM   #8
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

I think the bike looks pretty good, since I am also a big fan of the Speed Triple. However, an upright 600-four is probably not a bike I would buy. If I wanted a lightweight bike like this, I would go for an SV. On the other hand, if I wanted to faster, I would require the torque of a big-bore bike. This thing probably won't cost much less than a B12 . . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:11 AM   #9
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Oh, Gabe Like! Scoops Good!

Were I to buy one of these, (as soon as one with a salvage title came up in the want-ads) I would paint it flat black, and paint the scoops to look like little fanged Moray eels springing out of their lairs! How cool would that be? (here's the pix:http://www.motorcyclenews.com/conten...s/01898091.jpg and at: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/conten...s/01898093.jpg)

But check it out: you get all the fun of a 600 sprotbike, with less insurance hassle, and less hassle form girlfriend/SO/parents because you can say "it's not a sportbike". It's a standard, right? No fairing! It's not even as sporty as an '89 Katana!

But, I think this thing will be priced at $6700-$7000, which isn't bad for the level of performance you are getting, but still too much for the target audience to afford...but they will sell to Triumph's slowly expanding customer base in the US. And it's a shame this bike will be dismissed by the public and the press, because it's a bargain- to get an SV to handle and accelarate anything like one of these things theroretically should, you'll spend at least $1500 on brake, suspension, exhaust and carb upgrades, making an SV MORE expensive than this bike! The SV will still be lighter and easier to ride fast, though.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:24 AM   #10
Gabe
Registered Member

Default It'll Cost a Little Less than the B12

My guess is about $1000-1500 less than the TT600, which would price it at $6799-7299. And it will be much better handling out of the box.

But, people buy bikes from different countries for the same reasons as they buy cars. They buy European for style, sophistication, handling and exclusivity. They buy Japanese for big power, reliability and big value. And they buy American because, uh, um, well, I'm sure they have their reasons.

This bike will be no different, and it will be priced fairly competitively with the Japanese. Again, a lot of prospective customers will be those of us who can't afford to insure a top-of-the line sportbike, but still want the up-to-date-chassis, brakes and motor of the leading 600's.

I can also see TriumphUSA paying contingency to club racers, or starting a Cup series. This would make a good first racebike. That could sell over 1000 units a year, which is big numbers for Triumph. Since it's so much cheaper than the Speed Triple ($10,499!), and the Triple is such a big seller, I think they'll sell lots and lots...this will be an interesting year for Triumph.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote