Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Lethal injection, please. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/9057-lethal-injection-please.html)

tripleripple 08-01-2008 10:30 AM

I believe Longride has said this many times before, but it's true: if you want to kill somebody, use your car. If the driver here had pointed a gun out the window and shot the cyclist, he'd be lookin' at a lot more than 14 years. The intent is the same, but because an Explorer isn't a "deadly" weapon, you get to skip out early. And he won't even do 7. (but there are those pesky cholos in the shower...)

Kenneth_Moore 08-01-2008 11:19 AM

I'm completely disgusted with what happened to this guy, although I'd never confront anyone like that. There's way too many dopes with guns in FL to risk your life over a traffic incident.

Having said that, the comments on "protected groups" are bullsh|t. If Blacks and other minorities are a protected group, it's protection I can sure do without:

"The figures reveal the continuing, extraordinary magnitude of minority incarceration and the stark disparity in their rates of incarceration compared to those of whites. Out of a total population of 1,976,019 incarcerated in adult facilities, 1,239,946 or 63 percent are black or Latino, though these two groups constitute only 25 percent of the national population.4

Here's the link, but you can find the same data on countless other sites easily enough: Race and Incarceration in the United States - Human Rights Watch Press Backgrounder, February 27, 2002

I guess maybe you figure being put in prison is "protection?"

sarnali2 08-01-2008 12:26 PM

They're in jail because they're the ones doing the crimes, the black and hispanic crime rates are many times white and asian crime rates in every major city. They have axcess to all kinds of social and assistance programs, the ones who take advantage of them get the hell out of "the hood" and build a better life for themselves and their families. The ones who embrace a hip-hop gangsta' lifestyle end up dead or in jail.

It's social darwinism in it's purest form.

Kenneth_Moore 08-01-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 190413)
They're in jail because they're the ones doing the crimes, the black and hispanic crime rates are many times white and asian crime rates in every major city. They have axcess to all kinds of social and assistance programs, the ones who take advantage of them get the hell out of "the hood" and build a better life for themselves and their families. The ones who embrace a hip-hop gangsta' lifestyle end up dead or in jail.

It's social darwinism in it's purest form.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying here, but the point remains: Blacks and minorities are hardly a "protected group."

sarnali2 08-01-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 190414)
I pretty much agree with what you're saying here, but the point remains: Blacks and minorities are hardly a "protected group."

When it comes to State or federal employment they are. At the U-W when I worked there their applications were weighted numerically to reflect their minority status. It was an offical policy aimed at making up for past disparities in their under representation in the workplace. Every applicant had to meet minimum requirements but after that women and minorities were given the advantage of a number of points on their scores just for being women or minorities. Further, each year we were required to attend week long Diversity Training classes that were basically an excuse for some as*hole to harangue us for past injustices from slavery on up. When I pointed out that my family moved here in '67 and had nothing to do with any of that I was told that by pointing that out I was guilty just because I'm white.

Biggest crock of sh*t I ever heard of, I'm all for equal rights and I don't think anyone should be oppressed or denigrated for their race or religion but I don't do white guilt I'm afraid, I wasn't here.

tripleripple 08-01-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

I think that's kind of a non sequitur Ken. Being part of a 'protected' group is supposed to deter certain kinds of discrimination*, but whether or not you go to prison for committing a crime isn't one of them.

*I am NOT claiming that those 'protections' actually work, nor am I arguing that many members of a 'protected' class have it easy.

MOKE1K 08-01-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 190387)
My only surprise is that this didn't take place in Florida.

Yeah right!

seruzawa 08-01-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

There IS a weird sort of protected class system working even in the ghettos. Having lived near both central LA and East La I can tell you without doubt that the standards for arrest are far different in those areas. Crimes that would be prosecuted without question in the caucasian and asian communities are routinely ignored by the police in the ghettos. If all crimes were prosecuted the incarceration differential would be even worse.

longride 08-01-2008 04:54 PM

"I believe Longride has said this many times before, but it's true: if you want to kill somebody, use your car."

The funny part is that nobody believes me on that one. If I was going to off someone, I surely wouldn't use a gun.

seruzawa 08-01-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 190439)
"I believe Longride has said this many times before, but it's true: if you want to kill somebody, use your car."

The funny part is that nobody believes me on that one. If I was going to off someone, I surely wouldn't use a gun.

Absolutely. If you use a gun you get more years. Apparently it is more evil to kill someone with a gun than to cut their throat, bash them with a bat, cut their intestines out, decapitate them, push them off a roof or strangle them. Those other things are nicer and get you a shorter sentence. Running them over with a car is the most humane way to murder people of all. Usually you don't even get a ticket.