Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default Zero-ex bike... or so theysay.

ENN: Zero X Motorcycle: 100% Lithium-Ion Electric, 40 Mile Range, Weighs Only 140 Pounds

Note that there are no zero emissions vehicles. That's doublespeak for vehicles that merely shift the pollution somewhere else.... nimby, in other words.

Price is better than some though. Wouldn't do me much good on my 42 mi @75 mph commute however.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

42 miles each way? At least you don't mind war for oil!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Note that there are no zero emissions vehicles. That's doublespeak for vehicles that merely shift the pollution somewhere else.... nimby, in other words.
Yes, but by saying that you imply that all sources of energy are equally efficient and pollute at equal levels. That's not true; a large electrical generating operation uses a lot less fuel to produce a comparable amount of energy as, for instance, a car engine. You should also consider that there are sources of energy that are zero emissions, such as hydro-electric or nuclear power plants.

Clearly there's a lot more to this than just running out and buying electric cars and bikes, but it's just as clear that what we're doing now is going to be viable much longer. Evne if you ignore the ecological issues, what are the estimates now; 40 years of oil left at current consumption?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default Yada yada yada.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yes, but by saying that you imply that all sources of energy are equally efficient and pollute at equal levels. That's not true; a large electrical generating operation uses a lot less fuel to produce a comparable amount of energy as, for instance, a car engine. You should also consider that there are sources of energy that are zero emissions, such as hydro-electric or nuclear power plants.

Clearly there's a lot more to this than just running out and buying electric cars and bikes, but it's just as clear that what we're doing now is going to be viable much longer. Evne if you ignore the ecological issues, what are the estimates now; 40 years of oil left at current consumption?
.... yeah I know all that but there still aren't any zero emissions vehicles. Though lithium batteries are a definite improvement over lead-acid as far as the amount of current needed to recharge the battery pack.

And fission plants aren't even close to zero-emissions. Now fusion...... but those aren't even on the horizon yet. And probably never will be with the DOE in charge of the research.

When they have capacitive storage systems worked out is when you will see EVs become viable. Virtually no losses and superquick recharge times.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Offering a modern TDI diesel version of all models of cars trucks and SUVs would cut fuel consumption in half.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

You're paying $7k for a bike that HAS to have the battery pack replaced after 6 yrs. At a cost of $1166 annual plus the cost of recharging this is novel but not a deal for an off-road bike. You can buy a XR650 for $3000 and still not spend the remaining $4k in gas, insurance, tires and maintenance over the next decade.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Offering a modern TDI diesel version of all models of cars trucks and SUVs would cut fuel consumption in half.
I don't know about you, but over here diesel is a buck and a half more expensive than the low grade gas.

Any idea why diesel is so much more expensive? Especially since I heard it was cheaper to produce.

I'm no Boeing Engineer, so be patient with me.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I don't know about you, but over here diesel is a buck and a half more expensive than the low grade gas.

Any idea why diesel is so much more expensive? Especially since I heard it was cheaper to produce.

I'm no Boeing Engineer, so be patient with me.
Supply and demand. Europe is switching to diesels and the envirowackos won't allow any new refineries to be built in the USA. We have to import it now thanx to the lefties. Remember the liberals WANT fuel to be $5-6 per gallon. They proudly proclaim it. Why is anyone confused about rising prices? It's what the politicians and misanthropic special interest groups want.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Supply and demand. Europe is switching to diesels and the envirowackos won't allow any new refineries to be built in the USA. We have to import it now thanx to the lefties. Remember the liberals WANT fuel to be $5-6 per gallon. They proudly proclaim it. Why is anyone confused about rising prices? It's what the politicians and misanthropic special interest groups want.
Don't get me on the refinery rant. I've been *****ing about the lack of new refineries for the past six years.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Don't get me on the refinery rant. I've been *****ing about the lack of new refineries for the past six years.
Refineries are going to do anyone a damn bit of good when there's no more crude to pump into them. Not to mention the fact that India and China are going to scarf up a huge chunk of the available crude anyway. We're a lot better off creating alternatives to gas and diesel.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off