Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #41
vermicious
Registered Member

Well those remarks are definitely demeaning... to you. But I don't see how your ersatz sexual standards are a threat to the rest of us.

and now I'm being flippant

But in all seriousness, if this violates the user agreement: cite it. If it doesn't -- leave the post alone.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #42
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Okay, but you can't deny that "offensive and demeaning" are highly subjective terms. Not having had the opportunity to see the original message I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with your assessment but I would hope that if you're going to take the time to censor a user you'd give them a less flippant explanation.
Yes, they are subjective terms. I try always to consider what this site is like and what generally goes. There is a lot of pretty hard banter here, and that's fine. But there are a couple of areas where I feel I should step in. This was one of those areas. By the way, the words used were not offensive just to gays -- they were offensive to women as well.

As far as "censorship" goes, what I did was not "censorship." I am not telling Airhawk not to express his opinion about Senator Clinton - just to do it with acceptable words. There's a difference between moderating the words used and barring statements on a topic.

I don't understand why you feel my comment about "political correctness" to be flippant. It was not. "Political correctness" is, as I said, the argument people tend to use when they have been told not to use offensive language. From my point of view, I'm simply asking people to understand that the language is offensive. Let's take some examples of language that people now know are offensive and so are no longer used in any sort of discourse:

Kike
Jew-boy
The N word
Spic
Chink
Mick

. . . and so on. People understand that these words are offensive. They don't use them. If someone said these words in this forum I'd likely mod 'em out. Could anyone realistically complain that by modding those words it would be "political correctness"? Yet it is exactly the same as me modding out the offensive language in Airhawk's post. (And by the way, his explanation sanitized the comment he made.)

There are a LOT of words that people continue to use to demean women and gay people. A LOT. I've modded out other homophobic stuff without complaint. The folks here at this site push those lines sometimes, but this time Airhawk's language went over that line, IMO.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #43
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
Why are you showing us this?
Because she's attempting a jab at me on the sly by insinuating that I have a Persecution Complex brought on by Dementia Praecox and am imagining that she is singling me out for "special consideration" for Moderation.

The likely part she's particulary attempting to draw-attention upon is most-probably this excerpt:

"Paranoid personality disorder is an unwarranted tendency to interpret the actions of other people as deliberately threatening or demeaning."

Only, those without Moderator Priviledges (and, possibly those with said-same) are hitherto unaware of the arguments her and myself have conducted "behind the scenes", so-to-speak.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #44
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post

Kike
Jew-boy
The N word
Spic
Chink
Mick
You might add upon yon gentle list, phrases bandied-about with alacrity upon this venerated and hallowed chronicle:

Jap Bike
Jap Crap
Rice Bike
Rice Rocket
Crotch Rocket

All words that I personally find reprehensive.

Subjectively, of course.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #45
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Uh oh. People are making judgements about my humor. This coupled with the rage that one of my parents had, which I must now understand as "founded" are causing me to question my self esteem. Why are you looking at me like that? OK it was an inapropriate attempt on my part to inject humor into a subject that I feel has begun to take on too much of a life of it's own. I'll bow out of this thread and start boarding up the windows in my house now, it's for insulation honest....
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #46
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
As far as "censorship" goes, what I did was not "censorship." I am not telling Airhawk not to express his opinion about Senator Clinton - just to do it with acceptable words. There's a difference between moderating the words used and barring statements on a topic.
moderate, censor... tomato, tomahto I'm not trying to start a semantic argument I'm trying to suggest that any alteration to a person's posts should be accompanied (at the outset) with an appropriate level of explanation.
Quote:
I don't understand why you feel my comment about "political correctness" to be flippant. It was not.
Agreed, I wasn't referring to the remark solicited by Airhawk's objection but rather by the sparsely worded warning "watch it bucko" that accompanied the edit.
Quote:
"Political correctness" is, as I said, the argument people tend to use when they have been told not to use offensive language. From my point of view, I'm simply asking people to understand that the language is offensive. Let's take some examples of language that people now know are offensive and so are no longer used in any sort of discourse:
This was unnecessary and beside the point (or beside my point at any rate). I won't bother quoting the list of examples. Again, my objection is to the absence of both an upfront explanation and any reference to a quasi-objective standard by which Airhawk (or any one of us) might gauge the acceptability of his/their future posts.
Quote:
IMO
My point made in three letters.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #47
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Because she's attempting a jab at me on the sly by insinuating that I have a Persecution Complex brought on by Dementia Praecox and am imagining that she is singling me out for "special consideration" for Moderation.

The likely part she's particulary attempting to draw-attention upon is most-probably this excerpt:

"Paranoid personality disorder is an unwarranted tendency to interpret the actions of other people as deliberately threatening or demeaning."

Only, those without Moderator Priviledges (and, possibly those with said-same) are hitherto unaware of the arguments her and myself have conducted "behind the scenes", so-to-speak.
Heh heh. Pay no attention to the stupid psychiatric crap. Most of it is pure rubbish. If you've ever had to deal with shrinks you would have learned that they are the most insane people you can find. Who else could come up with the concept that infidelity in a marriage is a good thing? Or that the inability to do math is a mental disease? What garbage.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Heh heh. Pay no attention to the stupid psychiatric crap. Most of it is pure rubbish. If you've ever had to deal with shrinks you would have learned that they are the most insane people you can find. Who else could come up with the concept that infidelity in a marriage is a good thing? Or that the inability to do math is a mental disease? What garbage.
You clearly were never married to my ex!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #49
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
Uh oh. People are making judgements about my humor. This coupled with the rage that one of my parents had, which I must now understand as "founded" are causing me to question my self esteem. Why are you looking at me like that? OK it was an inapropriate attempt on my part to inject humor into a subject that I feel has begun to take on too much of a life of it's own. I'll bow out of this thread and start boarding up the windows in my house now, it's for insulation honest....
There you go again - attempting to use that Reversed Psycho-ology on me.........
Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #50
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Quote:
sachiwilson:
IMO
My point made in three letters.
I'm not sure what help your point is. Many of the decisions a mod has to make depend on our opinion and judgment. There are a couple of things that are obvious -- deleting a double post and fixing busted links, for examples. But even something that is patently barred by the terms of the site -- spam is a good example -- requires us to judge whether a post is or is not spam. It's not always obvious, and the mods even have had threads at times to discuss whether something is or is not spam. We have to exercise our judgment whether to can the post.

Now, one might think that we'd be better off if there were more specificity in the terms of the site, on the theory that with more specificity we wouldn't have to exercise our judgment and thus people would know what was permitted and what was not permitted. That can be a good idea to a certain extent, but humans being what they are, even the most specific rules or laws can't cover everything that we can dream up to get around those rules. For example, let's say this site expressly bans that list of words that I posted above. Someone could try to get around it by using "spick" or "Kyke", or some other misspelling. In short, no matter what terms this site imposes on its users, the mods will ALWAYS need to have the discretion to decide whether some post violates those terms.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote