Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default It finally hit motorcycling......

Wonderful news about the Dakar rally.

ESPN - Terror threat leads to cancelation of Dakar Rally - Racing

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
maladg
Registered Member

Alas and alack - a sign of the times.

I would not be suprised to hear that organizers could not get liability coverage either. The usual suspects, Lloyds-AIG-Allianze probably have excellent private intelligence on risks along the route.

The next 20 years or so are going to bite even more than the last 20.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Without getting off on some right wing genocidal rant I'll just point out how ridicules it is that modern advanced sociaties are held hostage by what are basically fanatical adhereants to a Dark Ages religious doctrine. Either drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century or send them all to Hell.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

This isn't the first time a major sporting event has been cancelled or seriously impacted by violence, war, or politics. The US dropping out of the Olympics when the USSR invaded Afghanastan (sp?) comes immediately to mind. It is very disappointing that an extremely small number of fanatics have not only impacted a sporting event, but have also caused a lot of otherwise rational people to decide that all Muslims are blood thirsty fanatics bent on destroying modern society. I guess we'd better hope that's BS, since Muslims outnumber everyone else with the possible exception of the Chinese.

It's pretty clear to me that whatever we've been doing since 9/11 is at best ineffective at reducing the "terrorist threat," and more likely has made it worse. Not to mention the tremendous loss of life, huge expenditures of money, and loss of freedoms in our country and others.

The unfortunate part is, deciding to "hunt them down and kill them" just doesn't work. Usually it just makes them stronger and pushes them further into extremism. As well as creating new recruits from the "nits."
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default It's all a LIE.......

.........it's just a Right-Wing Conspiracy® to discredit the Democratic Party on the Eve of Hiliary's Ascension to the Throne™............

(and it's working! - Obamalama's in the Lead - don't let this Right-Wing Conspiracy® shoot-down the Rightful Inheritance of the Clinton Dynasty©!)

ZZZZzzzzt: - Ploipt! Trolltrolltrolltrolltrolltroll.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 01-04-2008 at 09:59 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well I for one think there should be a sidecar class in the Paris to Dakar that requires a Ma Duce mounted on a co-ax traverse rig, along with smoke grenades and a SAW mounted on the handlebars for the pilot. Let's see the fuzzy-wuzzys deal with that. They'd all be mounted on Chang Jiang M1's of course (Painted Afrika Biege).
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Well I for one think there should be a sidecar class in the Paris to Dakar that requires a Ma Duce mounted on a co-ax traverse rig, along with smoke grenades and a SAW mounted on the handlebars for the pilot. Let's see the fuzzy-wuzzys deal with that. They'd all be mounted on Chang Jiang M1's of course (Painted Afrika Biege).
You drive Cuddy and I'll man the guns! I think we could win the thing!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"You drive Cuddy and I'll man the guns! I think we could win the thing"

When do we go? I'm ready now. Just need a bunch of velcro to keep me in the saddle...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
findangle
Founding Member

I wonder how many are just gonna run it anyway. shame it won't be televised though.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
This isn't the first time a major sporting event has been cancelled or seriously impacted by violence, war, or politics. The US dropping out of the Olympics when the USSR invaded Afghanastan (sp?) comes immediately to mind. It is very disappointing that an extremely small number of fanatics have not only impacted a sporting event, but have also caused a lot of otherwise rational people to decide that all Muslims are blood thirsty fanatics bent on destroying modern society. I guess we'd better hope that's BS, since Muslims outnumber everyone else with the possible exception of the Chinese.

It's pretty clear to me that whatever we've been doing since 9/11 is at best ineffective at reducing the "terrorist threat," and more likely has made it worse. Not to mention the tremendous loss of life, huge expenditures of money, and loss of freedoms in our country and others.

The unfortunate part is, deciding to "hunt them down and kill them" just doesn't work. Usually it just makes them stronger and pushes them further into extremism. As well as creating new recruits from the "nits."
Good points. I'm much more worried about our own home grown fascists of the left and right than a few primitives hiding in caves.