Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Evel Knievel Dies at 69 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/6807-evel-knievel-dies-69-a.html)

BrowningBAR 11-30-2007 03:56 PM

Evel Knievel Dies at 69

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Iconic Daredevil Evel Knievel Dies at 69

mscuddy 11-30-2007 04:18 PM

Ekins, Knievel, who's next? RIP you crazy m*****f*****.

Pete_Brissette 11-30-2007 04:32 PM

A Hard Livin' Dude.

He was quite the character. I had the opportunity to hang out with him one night at a party after a Skip Van Leeuwen flat track race years ago. He sat down at the table across from my buddy and myself.

We said "Howdy" or whatever, and let him do his thing. That allowed him to talk to us as he wanted...and drink beer after beer with us despite recently having had liver surgery or something.

Throughout the night he could be quite gruff at times, but when he got up to leave at the end of the night, he stopped, turned and come back to my friend and myself to say, "It was really nice meetin' you guys."

That night will be with me forever. Sharing beers with the guy who graced my lunch box some 25 years ago.

Pete 8-)

sarnali2 11-30-2007 05:18 PM

He's a true Original. Anyone can jump stuff on a 250lb dirt bike with 2 ft. of suspension travel, try it on a 500 lb KR 750 with 3 inchs......RIP ya' looney bastard

sfcdjevans 11-30-2007 05:47 PM

I thought he was dead in '68. They're replaying an interview on the CBC right now. Rest in Peace.

The_AirHawk 11-30-2007 05:54 PM

69. That's a number he would have preferred, given his Life.

G'Bye.

seruzawa 11-30-2007 05:55 PM

Ain't that somethin?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 174145)
He's a true Original. Anyone can jump stuff on a 250lb dirt bike with 2 ft. of suspension travel, try it on a 500 lb KR 750 with 3 inchs......RIP ya' looney bastard

He did all that shyt on an XLCH.

RIP Evel. (sound of beer can popping open)

longride 11-30-2007 06:59 PM

Evel was Da Man! There will never be another showman like him. Like Sarnali said, he was THE ORIGINAL. RIP Brother.

Buzglyd 11-30-2007 07:46 PM

Geez, Evel even invented the term, "Jumped the Shark."

I remember some years ago in an interview on the Jim Rome show Evel placed his chances at making the Snake River jump at 50/50.

Rome asked him, "Why would you do it then?"

Evel, "Do you know who the hell I am?"

Best quote ever from a classic showman and a guy with huge stones.

seruzawa 11-30-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 174155)
Geez, Evel even invented the term, "Jumped the Shark."

I remember some years ago in an interview on the Jim Rome show Evel placed his chances at making the Snake River jump at 50/50.

Rome asked him, "Why would you do it then?"

Evel, "Do you know who the hell I am?"

Best quote ever from a classic showman and a guy with huge stones.

I'm popping another one for Evel. Well maybe two or three actually.

Join me.