Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #21
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Deviously clever design

On the old site, I would check in five or six times a day at work. Couple clicks and I could read everything happening in the latest, lively discussion.

Now I check *maybe* once a day to scan the topic headings, hoping for something interesting. But doing so takes so many clicks that I'm probably "hitting" the site more than I ever did before. So MO gets to show their advertisers a ton of pageviews.

Of course, my maybe-once-a-day is going to taper off to every-couple, and I'll eventually drift away like so many other people have. But since it's free, there will always be new people to poke around and keep those hits a'comin'.

Good business strategy while it lasts. Lousy website, though.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #22
findangle
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Easily the most intellegent thing ever posted on MO. You should run for political office.
why thank you longride.

The thing that gets me the most is the fact that 15 of the 26 "New Posts" today are brand new empty threads made by administrator for articles that are nearly a decade old in some cases. The term for it is "Necro Posting".

What bugs me about it is that you cannot moderate the thread down or ignore administrator.. There is simply no way to combat the spam. With no other option i used the link at the bottom of the post and reported it as spam.. which is probably a pointless thing to do but oh well.. i haven't actually noticed an MO staffer posting on this board in so long that i would be surprised if anyone actually noticed it let alone did anything about it.

I'm starting to suspect that someone sold our beloved MO to a net advertising firm and it's primary purpose these days is to generate hits on a stat sheet to sell adverts.

that said.. the quality of the threads that actual humans are posting in seems to have gone way up. I've gotten tons of good starter advice about wrenching on my sporty and even the kook seems to have made a turn for the better.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #23
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by findangle View Post
I'm starting to suspect that someone sold our beloved MO to a net advertising firm and it's primary purpose these days is to generate hits on a stat sheet to sell adverts.
I agree. See my post below.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #24
ironmike
Founding Member

Cool Parasitic Infection..?

I'm starting to wonder if certain commercial interests are "shadowing" the site and laying a few clandestine "cookie eggs" upon any unsuspecting browser's back... OK, admittedly that's not a technical description, but perhaps you can appreciate the imagery.

My adware screening system and cookie blockers seem to be working overtime during my increasingly infrequent visits... This isn't what we signed on for, is it..? If the content was stellar, fresh, and stimulating... well, some minor annoyances might be acceptable, however... Need I go on?

Regrettably, this may be my last visit for a while... I might peek in periodically to see if evolution has taken any strides. In the meantime, I wish you all well, good health, and the best of fortune.

Later...
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #25
rpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeholton View Post
Motorcycle.com has gone from a "daily must read" site to a "check it weekly to see if they put it back" site. MO Staff - You screwed it up!!!!
yeap.
sad but true.

did they pay the "consultant" that sold them this idea of a "brand new bold website " ?
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #26
gas_pig
Founding Member

Adblock + Firefox is my solution! Can't surf the web (including MO) w/o it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #27
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Geeze, man, get a Mac soonest and you wouldn't have any trouble.

(Although I still use a .hosts file that kills just about every ad on the 'net.)

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #28
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I grew up on Macs. Currently own a PC and I'm using Vista. I have no problems. I get very little pop-up no mater where I go. Blocks a good amount of cookies, too.

I'm sure it has it's gaping holes, but it isn't bothering me.

Currently Microsoft is doing its damnedest to mimic Apples operating system look.

One of these days I’ll be back on a Mac.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #29
obandoj
Founding Member

I see a general malaise spreading through the ranks, and I can see the reasons, I agree with findangle, schizuki, bmwdude etc. I used to hit the website a few times a day for years and enjoyed the banter, madness, fun and usefull information that it contained (I miss you Yossef)But as of late, the site really sucks, the powers that rule have entitled some people to run the show that are less than qualified for the task at hand, you know who you are(I'm probably going to get banned for this)So it is time to start drifting in other directions, oh boy how I miss the old MO
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #30
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

-Don't believe everything that KP says. And no, you won't get banned. The Mods, by no means, are "running the show".
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote