Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   1984 Honda 1200 Goldwing Aspencade (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/5271-1984-honda-1200-goldwing-aspencade.html)

BHerndon 06-25-2007 12:28 AM

1984 Honda 1200 Goldwing Aspencade

I know that I am fairly new to the computer world but I am hoping to find someone with the answers to my problem.

My bike appears to be struggling to breath out through the factory exhaust. Especially on the left side. It get so hot you can barely stand to keep your foot down at the floorboard.I noticed one night that the inside pipe on the left side was glowing cherry red.I don't think this is normal. I believe it it also destroying my fuel milliage.
QUESTION:::Is there someway that the mufflers could be gutted out so it could breath better? I have owned Honda's before where you could remove the baffles from the mufflers. Can this somehow be done to a 1200 Goldwing? If anyone knows of a way to solve this problem-Please let me know. Thanks BHerndon:confused: :(

longride 06-25-2007 07:14 AM

The problem isn't with the mufflers, it's with the engine. There could be a multitude of problems that could cause what you are experiencing, including carb contamination, valve lash too tight, intake blocked. I'd forget looking at the mufflers and examine what may be wrong with the motor.

mscuddy 06-25-2007 08:22 AM

Any 4 stroke where the exhaust is glowing cherry red at the head pipe indicates a major problem with either:

#1: Exhaust valve(s) not seating.

#2: Over lean/rich condition in the carbs on that side, or a BIG air leak. When it's way too rich, the flame front will go out past the exhaust valve, turn the head pipe cherry red, and eventually cook the exhaust valve. When it's too lean, combustion chamber temps are too high, and might cuase the same problem with the head pipe turning red, and warp the valve.

Also, the bike is over 20 years old. Maybe it's just worn out?

BHerndon 06-26-2007 07:16 AM

1984 Honda 1200 Goldwing Aspencade

:confused: :o Thanks for the reply. I don't think the bike is worn out.It only has a little over 17,000 original miles on it. We bought it from the second owner who personally new the original owner. We went to Granby,Co. to get the bike.I,m wondering now if it could maybe the fuel mixture since it came from such a high altitude part of the country. It may be running way far to rich or to lean. I,m not sure which way this goes.The altitude there is around 9,000 ft. and Alabama is far below that. I will take it and have this checked out and get back with you all. The bike runs like a dream down the road. I don't think it is anything seriouslly wrong with it. I am a retired auto mechanic and this reminds me of when a catilytic converter is stopped up on a car. This is my reason for thinking exhaust. Thanks Again:BHerndon

BHerndon 06-26-2007 07:24 AM

Thanks longride. You surelly gave me a good starting place to look. I think it may be the fuel mixture because the bike came from Granby,Co and we are in Al. Lots of differance in the altitude. Thanks Again for the help. BHerndon

BHerndon 06-26-2007 07:30 AM

mscuddy::Sorry about the reply messup. I didn't realize there was a quick reply down below. I really think you are on to something about the fuel mixture. Thanks Again::BHerndon

longride 06-26-2007 08:21 AM

I'd check the carbs and go over the valves. I think you will find the problem in one of those two areas. Glad to be of help. Let us know how it turns out.

sarnali2 06-26-2007 08:49 AM

I think you'll find you're way to lean for sea level. I live at sea level and regularly ride up to around 5500 ft. in the mountains. A CV carb will compensate for a lot of this but 9k feet is a pretty big jump. most likely you'll need to be rejetted and the fuel mixture screws adjusted to richen everything up. If there's a competent mechanic around they should be able to straighten it out for you.

mscuddy 06-26-2007 09:12 AM

..yes, but turning the headpipe cherry red? Man, I knew those old Gold Wings were tough..but that's much too much.

Maybe a bird or small rodent got sucked in the airbox? A gypsy curse? The heartbreak of psoriasus?

xiao310dong 07-16-2008 12:00 AM

hehe,interesting