Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #71
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Why not here?

Washington is "The Evergreen State", since Weyerhauser and their ilk are doing their levelheaded best to denude the place they must be talking about BC bud, not trees

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #72
ksquid
Banned

Default kwrong correction

Bush is living on borrowed time and money..i.e. he is still digging the hole for us with his own brand of Voodoo economics .. I pity who gets elected in 2008 to clean up his mess. Bush is the worst president ever by any margin and you yahoos voted for him twice.. Carter was cleaning up the mess that Nixon and Johnson started. Gulf of Tonkin resolution ring a bell and the deficit spending that resulted.. Bush Sr. and Clinton cleaned up Rayguns deficit spending mess i.e Voodoo Economics.. Whoever gets elected next will probably end up like Carter or Bush Sr.. Do the right thing but get ruined politically in the process.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #73
xlr8r
Founding Member

I'm late to the party again, but it's been an interesting read so far. The airfield/racetrack idea is quite a nice one, but actually it isn't true, even though Silverstone in the UK is indeed a converted airfield. The oldest races were held on public roads, and the oldest racetracks were built for motor racing, not for aircraft. And there's the key to it all: in Europe we've been racing on asphalt for a very long time, whereas in the US you were racing on dirt. A big percentage of you learned to ride a dirtbike before you rode a streetbike, which is not the case in Europe. Why? Not because of the bikes, nor even the asphalt, but because of land access laws. Different places, different cultures. Plus, from the very earliest days, bikes in Europe were taxed on capacity, which meant that the manufacturers strove to get as much performance as they could from, say, a 250, or a 350; in the US, you simply built a bigger motor, because there was no reason not to. So it's the high-performance little bikes which are the evolutionary ancestors of the sportbike of today, whereas the cruisers descend from the 74 and 96-inch twins of the US.

But for all our high-tech leanings, people are surprisingly conservative, and stick with what they know. Which is why, with a history of dirt racing and a century of big twins behind you, but no real history of short circuits, GPs, or limited capacity racing, you're not going to build either a racetrack or a sportbike anytime soon; but the Italians, with a century of racing anything from 50cc upwards behind them, and always on asphalt, have created things like Ducatis. It's just evolution at work, that's all. And that's why no European manfacturer - or Japanese one, come to that - can produce a proper cruiser, either: they just don't have the right history and geography.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #74
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Spread cheeks, remove head...

Every single one of those companies has gone into receivership on an almost weekly basis since the 70's. Aprilia's scooters are their profit base, not the bikes. Ducati has been bought and sold more often than a streetwalker in Rome. KTM was insolvent untill they formed a partnership with Polaris and Wakan isn't even a blip on the map as a manufacturer and finally Yanmar is a manufacturer of industrial and marine diesels. I don't think we'll be seeing any realistic motorcycle production from them.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #75
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Spread cheeks, remove head...

My point is that even a small company can do it.. Now as percentage of sales their investment was probably very large where as Harley's would not have to be.. You kind of strengthened my point.. i.e. If these tiny guys can do it Huge Harley can and it will be a relatively small percentage cost for Harley.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #76
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Buell Durt Byke

Here's a link to the off-road stuff Buell is maybe developing. The Rotax motor looks like a v twin Briggs & Stratton...me thinks...

Gary Jones consulting on the bike? Maybe it'll be yellow...

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1177127497
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #77
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

So, we're going to be an agrarian society with 70% of the population living on farms forever?

Seriously, you make a good point. It took a real beating with the Original Crispy Gas Crises back in the 70's to even start Detroit looking at economical cars. And as soon as prices and supplies stabilized, we all went back to gas guzzling.

So maybe we are culturally incapable of producing a sportbike. Or maybe we just don't want to.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #78
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think you are missing the unemployment line.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #79
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: A premium to buy American?

Gawd, yas it does, and I want one badly! Wait - we *were* talking about the Z06 Corvette, right?

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #80
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I guess I was trying to make the point that Yamaha sells more cruisers than sportbikes here. They've also got a 40 year head start.

And thanks for the beer. Lots of eye candy down in the meat packing district. Interesting name for a singles area.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote