Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #21
ymsamhi
Registered Member

Default Re: Why not here?

I think it is because that (unfortunately) the vast majority of Americans dont care about motorsport technology. This is represented by the bikes made in America, the cars driven in America and the motorsport most enjoyed in America. The bikes change at a snails pace, they are great bikes but hardly cutting edge. The most popular segment of vehicles in the U.S. for a decade has been trucks or SUVs. Rather ill handling vehicles that can only attest to real excitement through marketing and image. Trucks and SUVs also are not generally the platforms for ground breaking new ideas. NASCAR, we love it, but your really not rooting for the Ford quite as much as you are for the personality of the driver, and the technology of the cars does not vary much from vehicle to vehicle (in theory). I spent a few years in Germany and the car is to be driven fast and correctly and the rest of your life gets put on hold until you get out of the car, no texting, no phoning, no eating, no sitting in the left lane at 55 mph with your blinker on for 6 miles (this is of course changing for the worse). Not every European is like this but a higher percentage is compared to here.

As a whole we are a very inward looking people, we dont care what the rest of the world is doing. We MOrons may not be like that but most Americans seem to be. To tie this in with the weekends MotoGP race, the two leaders of the race are duking it out and the announcers talk about what is happening to the American riders at the mid to back of the pack. Before the race starts they talk about all the U.S. riders and then barely mention Rossi, Stoner or Pedrosa-the points and eventual race leaders. They do this when you watch skiing as well. Next year Ducati will be racing the 1200 in BSBK and most likely WSBK. But not here because we dont care what everyone else is doing.

Our saving grace may be in Alabama, of all places, Alabama and the forward thinking Barber Motorsports

ymsamhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default I was wrong.

Check that: Triumph sold 10,000 motorcycles in 2006. They figure they will break the all time Triumph record of 28,000 bikes in five years.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: So

I'm in with both feet. You in with me?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The reason Barber is in Alabama is because of cheap land and low taxes. The state battle cry for Alabama is "Thank God for Mississippi!"
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #25
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: Why no track?

well as it happens yes ...

not so much the road circuits but definitely mx and quad tracks, one has just opened up about 30 minutes from my house which is near perfect distance for me...one of 3 to open in the last few years..mainly the move to doing this seems to be from farmers etc who are looking at alternative ways of making money from their land

as for moto gp level tracks there has not really been any additional european ones, except maybe some of the spanish ones in the last 15 years, catalyuna i think. qatar and sepang are recent also but obviously not european ..

lower down the level ..wsb or bsb level there has been 2 in the uk (rockingham and mondello) in the last 6 years and 2 in france that i know of they would be more like laguna seca just not quite up to f1 or moto gp level (even though moto gp runs there)

but it takes a lot of perserverance to get them built and a lot of money

Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: So

Short answer: No.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I was wrong.

They sold about 10K in the US market. Globally they sell a lot more.

Still a long way to go to beat HD. I wouldn't count them out though. First they have to beat the ridiculous brand loyalty that makes people buy inferior I-4s instead of superior triples.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Why no track?

Opening dirt tracks in the USA is a more difficult proposition with our out of control tort system.

Since there is virtually no motorcycle racing popularity in the US I doubt we'll see any new tracks. The last one, Millers, is built near the nerve gas dumps in Utah.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I acknowledge HD's success in selling "nostalgic" bikes. I own one! My measure of success in this conversation is our ability to produce a high performance, high tech sportbike that can compete with Kawi, Honda, Suziki, even Ducati.

HD's market is gray haired already. Their bubble follows the Baby Boomers. There product as it exists today has a finite life span.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I was wrong.

You are correct. I found this: In the year under review (2006) sales of Triumph motorcycles rose to 37,400 units.