Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #101
bollert
Registered Member

Default Re: A premium to buy American?

While it's true that it has torque, and has a great street powerband, the combination of it being cammy and the lack of RPM still makes gear selection kind of annoying. Not complaining. I have one and I love it on the backroads, but it does take some getting used to. if they could give it, say, a 9000 rpm readline like the XBRR, we'd be in business.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #102
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not here?

The rain on Sunday slowed us down and we actually got some work done in Providence on Monday.

We'll be back!

I'm going to Chicago in Sept for a meeting so I'm going to pound a few with longride and then bully him for a while.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #103
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Since you are talking about the time before you were born, but the time I was riding motorcycles, I'd say you are slightly incorrect. Nobody paid a premium for any of those bikes. They were all priced about the same, except for the Sporty, which was always more money. I got a 72 Bonnie with 1300 miles on it for 600 bucks, so I'd say there was certainly no premium. Like others said, performance then meant 50 hp. Now it's 175 hp. Big difference.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #104
bollert
Registered Member

A little off topic maybe, but with the inter-cloning of the big four sportbikes, I am no longer interested. What separates them anymore? A comparison against 4 I-4s, all with upside down forks, fully adjustable suspension, same redlines, same valve adjustment intervals, ramair, etc. etc. leaves you splitting hairs. And you are counting on comparisons done by someone else, in different riding conditions than you probably ride. It's ridiculous. Comparison results have a 1-2 yr life span. You can count on them expiring. I actually long for a nostalgic Japanese bike, when they all went about their business in their own ways. honda V4, Yamaha 5 valve, Suzuki SACS, Kawasaki I4 HP. Thank God for Buell and Triumph. this "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" has gone too far. maybe planned obsolescence is in their business plan.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #105
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Spread cheeks, remove head...

I think JC had his thumb stuck in his ass for at least 4 years. Couldn't make a decision to save his life.....or anyone else's.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #106
Gordy
Registered Member

Man, we get all the way to the end of the thread and someone nails it. 2/3 at least of America is long straight roads with moderate speed limits, often strictly enforced. High performance, practically speaking, is a non issue. Yes I own a sportbike which is totally wasted 95% of the time. I can go as fast on my 35hp dirtbike, which is at or about the speed limit. So we buy cruisers as they are comfy and work for the typical riding we do. Pushrods work great at the low RPM preferred at low speed and are more compact so why change? Also, look at the market - why would anybody get into the sportbike maket here? So you could offer "Buddy Pack" deals at $99 / month with 0 down? I'd rather sell chrome.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #107
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: So

Utah and back with no trouble. The only way to kill a pre AMF Harley is to stupid it to death

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #108
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Spread cheeks, remove head...

He was too busy trying to keep the camera off his dumbass cracker brother to do much of anything

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #109
ymsamhi
Registered Member

Longride, your age is fuzzing your memory. Sure you got a 72 bonnie for 600, wow. It had been eclipsed by the Honda four by then and in 1969 the honda cost 1500. So you paid a lot less for a lot less bike, I think you proved my point. It had been eclipsed and all the people buying I-4s were paying more for performance while you bought less bike for less money.

The R90S cost more than the /6 of the same era. The Z1 cost more than the same year trident and the RD350 cost more than the same year CB350.

ymsamhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #110
ksquid
Banned

Actually I am management now.. but I hear you.. I agree with you and my mom's side was Irish union railroad workers so.. I still get lectured by her about treating people fairly. 6 figures huh? I have only been above that for few years now. How can get my wife's brother in law in your union?. He was on navy sub...of course his section 8 may be an issue Good thing you aren't IAM I heard they taken a big hit..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote