Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   According to Japan America is Cruiser Crazy... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4552-according-japan-america-cruiser-crazy.html)

naco_traficante 06-06-2007 10:49 AM

More than meets the eye.

Why don't the Japanese invent a sportbike that transforms into a cruiser ? Then it would be a hit everywhere.

mscuddy 06-06-2007 10:51 AM

Re: More than meets the eye.

..or a rototiller...

Kenneth_Moore 06-06-2007 10:59 AM

Re: Cruisers vs. Choppers

Ach, the pain...let me tell you about my goita!

Seriously, I have two compression factures, L-spine and T-spine, and a steel rod that connects 4 (count'em FOUR) of my cervical bones. And about (literally) 15 breaks from shoulder to feet. They did a bone scan a while back which shows all your breaks, and the tech about crapped himself.

Thank God I have great insurance. It's been two years of surgery and Dr's. The back Dr. says I may never lose the pain from the T-spine break, it didn't heal well. But, like I said, I have nothing compared to you.

Sorry I didn't catch the Bailey reference...I keep up a little with roadracing, but not MX.

mscuddy 06-06-2007 11:01 AM

Re: According to Japan America is Cluiser Clazy...

Let's hope it looks like the GTO concept they introduced in 1999.

Coke bottle shaped, hood scooped, wide split grill and everythang.

Not some freeking Vauxhall...

manalagi001 06-06-2007 11:30 AM

Re: According to Japan America is Cruiser Crazy...

Maybe around 1999, when my only motorized transport was a 1997 Ducati M900, I rode over to a friend's house for a party. Another friend stepped out of her car and looked over my bike, and expressed her disapproval. To her, it just didn't look like a motorcycle; it looked like it belonged in a comic book. This was a Monster, not a race-replica covered in plastic and splashy graphics, yet her idea of a proper motorcycle just didn't fit. She needed to see a cruiser to accept it, purely on a superficial/image level, as a motorcycle.

I thought this was surprising because I always thought of the Monster as a very true, elemental machine, with not a lot of fluff; in some ways, it's even cruiser-ish.

Since then I've come to see that girl's attitude as perhaps representative of common American perceptions of motorcycles. It helps me to understand the huge cruiser market segment better.

The best thing is for motorcyclists to get out and ride as many different kinds of bikes as possible. That goes a long way towards erasing prejudice and creating understanding between segments.

Kreb_Cycle 06-06-2007 11:32 AM

Re: According to Japan America is Cruiser Crazy...

There only should be one bike sold in the US. The sv650 standard. Nobody needs anything else.

seruzawa 06-06-2007 11:35 AM

Basket cases for 2G's next week!

12er 06-06-2007 11:39 AM

I had a ceder green metallic 68 lemans, The 69 with the high mounted tail lights and dropped beak nose just ruined the lines... The 68 goat was the prettiest IMO, though there is a black 67 parked at the BART station every morning taunting me... Oh how I miss my late 60's early 70's BPO's (buick, pontiac, olds)

mscuddy 06-06-2007 11:47 AM

Mine is Verdoro green. Got rid of the vinyl top when I smashed it up a few years back.

Has drums all the way around, so stopping is optional. Hurst dual gate. Black morohide interior. YS block 400 cu.in. 350 horse motor. Good heads (casting 16). Inherited it from my Grandpa.

The '68 is the best looking one for me.

12er 06-06-2007 11:48 AM

Which is normally the case, but I have to say for american cars the Charger / 300's are the only ones I like. Many o tricked out Charger and 300's rolling around the SF bay area. Still wouldnt buy an American car though. I bought my MazdaSpeed 6 due to the fact that unlike most mazda's its made mostly in Japan. I believe the chassis is made in the us and shipped over to Mazdaspeed for tuning and reenforcement.