Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Re: Growing Trend is Increasing Motorcycle Sales

I'm personally pleased that more people are riding motorbikes for two reasons. The first is, it makes me safer. That's because the more people who have friends and family riding, the more people who might be slightly more aware of bikes and less likely to crash into me. The second is that when the industry grows, we benefit from more choices in bikes, more investment in engineering and production facilities, more accessories, and more options in our reading material! Oh, and maybe one more benefit: less pollution.

It sucks that our being f'd on gas is driving this growth. And I won't metion BioDiesel, even though my company, GE, has made some terrific strides in our "Ecomagination" project on just that fuel source.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
schizuki
Founding Member

Just like every solution has a drawback, so does every problem have a silver lining. Higher gas prices = more two-wheelers, more visibility for riders, more parking spaces, more customers for more varieties of aftermarket gear, etc etc.

Maybe the bike scene in Europe is better in so many ways because of their high gas prices.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

More importantly..... more votes to counter the rising demand that "something be done" about the "sportbikes creating havoc on our highways".

The ultimate irony will be the fact that the largest group of motorcyclists is cruiser guys. They are the ones whose desire to fight govt regulation will make or break the coming tide of anti-'bulletbike' legislation.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I can feel the sell out coming already.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default My Idea

I need to write the governator.

My idea is a moto only lane next to the HOV lane. It only needs to be about 5 feet wide (12 feet wide with a stick sweeper in WA) and it would offer more safety than the HOV lane for bikes and more people would take advantage of it.

The HOV lanes in SoCal are already at a standstill and I've seen a car cross over the double double yellow right into the HOV lane and clip a motorcycle.

Oh, and pdad, call me. I couldn't make heads or tails out of your New York-ese voicemail. GPTB drinking marathon starts in Manhattan right now!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: My Idea

12 feet wide with a stick sweeper in WA

Comedy gold
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #7
yossef
Founding Member

At 1.5$ per quart, yes, in theory you are right about europe but in reality, only italy is really two wheel crazy with sales of 150K proper motorbikes and 350K scooters per year and dozens of two wheelers waiting at every stop light. In other countries like germany or england, I've seen very little daily commuting, loads of weekend riding though.

-Yossef-
yossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
twowheel
Registered Member

In speaking with the local dealers they sales are "ok" but not great shakes. As for riders using bikes rather than cars you couldnt prove that around here (the MD area) as you hardly see ANY bikes going to or from work. You see them tooling round on weekends or after work but on the commutes its SUV's, pickups and autos....lots of em. My bike's been laid up for a gas tank weld job so I cant even say I've been riding but I always look for bikes and try to guage how many are out and about....

Phil
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
bmwclay
Founding Member

Actually, my 1150 GS, my 2003 LeMans and my 1978 R100S all get the same 36 mpg. My Corolla gets 37 mpg. Maybe we shouild sell all our bikes and get Corollas. My clean-burning 2003 TTR-250 gets about 65 mpg but f*&@ing Ca. Air Resource Board won't let me license it no matter how many Baja Kits I install on it. Yet 1977 two-stroke dirt bikes with plates and green stickers are running all over the place.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Wow! Doesn't TV news suck?

It's amazing that anything could be worse than Motorcycle Journalism, but there you go. The reporter got so many facts wrong (like the MPG of scooters and motorcycles) it was obvious the only reasearch they did was to talk to two motorcycle salesmen and a customer. How anybody could use TV news as their main soruce of information about the world and then consider themselves even remotely informed is beyond me. It's like going to a concert to hear an orchestra that learned how to play their instruments on You Tube.

Here's an irony: in early 2004 I was sales rep for Derbi and talked to every motorcvycle shop in the Central Valley, including Wilson's and Clawson's. Derbi is a very high-quality European product with 1-year warranty and competitive pricing. "Too expensive!" they both said. And "Our customers don't have any interest in scooters around here."

Best thing that ever happened to me! I failed as a sales rep and moved on to the path that a year later, led me to work at MO.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote