Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
RubberLegs
Registered Member

Default Re: What is Your Secret to Good Cornering ?

I intentionally practice cornering with a particular bike and gear. This helps me develop muscle memory and a sense of the limits of my skills and the limits of my bike. I try to also practice under less than ideal conditions; wet road, bumpy surface, going in to fast, etc, to help develop proper "automatic" responses to feedback from the road. This helps me avoid the panic response. If it was feasible, I would practice crashing, but that could be dangerous and expensive.
RubberLegs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #22
testcase
Founding Member

My inner screaming schoolgirl is tied up with rubber straps and has a ballgag in her mouth.

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #23
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Freeway commuting is by far the most dangerous aspect of motorcycling, especially right at the beginning of rush hour when traffic is tight and moving fast but starting to slow. Good post though.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #24
ksquid
Banned

Default kpaul sez

Besides looking where you want to go, one of the things I have found useful is to roll off the throttle and increase your lean angle. Now when I mentioned this before on MO, the usual kbashers (GPTB) ridiculed it.. But it actually comes from experts with far more experience than the GPTB (who are famous for wrong old wives tales)

[*]"If you come into a turn a little too fast, roll off the throttle gently and force yourself to keep your vision fixed on the exit; donÂ’t panic and stare at the outside of the corner or the hazard youÂ’re trying to avoid." Read More

[*]I also use the rear brake to stabilize the bike when I am going down hill into my favorite corkscrew. Again that is controversial but I did read this in famous Bike magazine (UK)

[b][i]

..kpaul says read these tips

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #25
ksquid
Banned

Default This applies to if you are going into a corner too fast

I should of put that disclaimer first..
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
ksquid
Banned

Disagree.. riding up 99 is more dangerous than a freeway like I-5.. Why?
[*]Traffic going both ways..without a separator
[*]Left turning cars..
[*]Traffic entering from side streets.
[*]Stop light red light cheaters.

Freeway traffic is easiest in my experiece

Who is the lunatic/idiot now khacker?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #27
ksquid
Banned

That explains a lot.. Can't wait to get you on the track.. You get MO to reserve the track I'll be there...I love standing up to bullies..
Old 05-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
Grahamcollins
Registered Member

Look at the little yellow signs for a review of which way the road is going to turn.

Get in the position that gives the best view of the bend ie the extreme right hand side of your lane for a left bend and the extreme left side of you lane for a right.

Slow coming into the turn and get the bike in the right gear so as to be in the middle of the power band. You have engine braking and thrust available as needed with an adjustment of the wrist.

Slow with the engine and stay off the brakes.

Delay your apex until you can see through the bend and then roll on the throttle as you exit.

The biggest reason bikes run off turns is too high a gear. It takes additional throttle just to keep the bike at a constant speed when it is turning and you need more still to keep the bike leaned over.

This is the time proven method used by British Police Riders. The system is called Road Craft.

One other tip, Decreasing and increasing radi corners don't have to be a mystery. The vanishing point is the spot where the two edges of the road ahead appear to converge. You are already looking through the turn right? so watch this point and if it is coming towards you the radius is decreasing so back off on the throttle until you see it move away from you. This means the bend is opening up. Open the throttle and chase the vanishing point out of the bend.

Grahamcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #29
SRMark
Founding Member

You are so dearly screwed now. Quick, throw a black cat under a ladder.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #30
ksquid
Banned

Default About that back brake thing (kpaul is right again)

"3. The rear brake can be used to slow the bike slightly and tighten the cornering radius of the motorcycle, but first get used to the sensitivity of the rear brake so as not to lock it up. Don't slam the throttle shut in the middle of a corner as overloading the front end could cause it to wash out. As the corner tightens, simply dial in more lean angle, which shouldn't be a problem since you left some in reserve, right?" Read More