Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   What is Your Secret to Good Cornering ? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4466-what-your-secret-good-cornering.html)

seruzawa 05-02-2007 08:14 AM

Re: What is Your Secret to Good Cornering ?

There are no problems with corners. There are only incompetent bikers.

One should find a track or deserted road where one can to practice find his cornering limits on his particular bike. Read books by Keith Code,etc. Take a track school.

As a rule of thumb on public roads stay within a reasonable range of those posted yellow corner speed signs. Some of those signs are too slow but some are pretty good indicators. If you want to "push the limits" then go to a track. Pushing extra hard on public roads means you will eventually bite it extra hard. Who knows when you will come around that corner and find a patch of gravel, an elk, a stick or a broken down pickup truck with the banjo player on back?

I've gone without a crash since 1972 simply by A) gradiently practicing on each bike I buy and B) keeping the speed within a reasonable magnitude.

SmokeU 05-02-2007 08:15 AM

I use a .22mag for prairie dog hunting.

giuliom 05-02-2007 08:17 AM

Read the article by Nick Ienatsch (sp?) on The Pace. Great classic article on non-track riding. Some of the main points are smoothness and entry speed (plus correct turn in point, of course). I try to do the same and unless I am really pushing, one of my favorite things to do is to see how fast I can go without touching the brakes at all (ideally, or touching them as little as possible) when I am up the Angeles Crest and other twisty roads.

Gritboy 05-02-2007 08:23 AM

People afraid to lean/corner need to ride a bike aggressively through corners first to get over that "fear" then add a motor.

You can't learn without trying and refining what doesn't work... just don't do it a 100+mph.

Gritboy 05-02-2007 08:24 AM

Doh! I meant to say... "ride a bicycle aggressively through corners first to get over that "fear" then add a motor."

szazbo 05-02-2007 09:18 AM

I consider cornering to be the most exciting and dangerous aspect of motorcycling. In my early years, I had a bad habit of target fixation and would panic if I entered a corner too fast. I would look at places that I DIDN'T want to go and was surprised and dismayed that I always went there. Although I rarely crashed, I scared myself silly enough times to (finally) realize that, on a motorcycle, you go where you look. This realization dawned upon me when I narrowly escaped driving off of a cliff while looking at the beautiful scenery. The approaching corner had a posted 10 mph speed limit sign ... I was travelling about 60 mph. As I frantically braked for the turn, I looked into a beautiful valley that was ahead of me - and 300 feet below. I applied maximum brakes (and threw out anchors, popped parachutes, prayed and promised to wash my own underwear) and managed to stop within a yard of the "big drop". I though to myself, "the turn is right here, why didn't you look at it?". After catching my breath and recovering from my extreme embarrassment ('cuz my buddies saw my mistake and casually rounded the corner), I continued. Since then I am constantly reminding myself to LOOK THROUGH THE TURN ... I can check out the scenery afterwards.

sarnali2 05-02-2007 09:20 AM

Like totally

sarnali2 05-02-2007 09:26 AM

smooth and steady is the key, you never know what's in the road or backing out of a blind driveway. Stay in your own lane and watch for sand and debris built up in the center of the lane, specially this time of year. All that sand they threw down last winter for the snow has to go somewhere.

tripleripple 05-02-2007 09:40 AM

Buy a Buell.

longride 05-02-2007 09:52 AM

Works for me.