Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Florida To Make Rider Training Mandatory (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4437-florida-make-rider-training-mandatory.html)

Flickmeister 04-17-2007 03:22 PM

Re: Florida To Make Rider Training Mandatory

Crazy man?? He looked smooth as Hell, and faster than anyone except JT.

Flickmeister 04-17-2007 03:33 PM

I guess this is a good move. I taught the state course for eight years. I can hardly wait till those 325 pound Gold Wing riders get on that 125 Suzuki training bike. While this may seem beneficial on the surface, a few years ago, Florida rescinded it's mandatory helmet law. I can't fathom this happening in a state with a mandatory seat belt law. Since it's repeal, the motorcycle death rate has increased 81% while the registration rate is up only 32%. Kinda too little, too late, from my point of view.

sarnali2 04-17-2007 03:33 PM

I'm all for mandatory training, and tiered licenses too, and Euro style 100 hp limits, and helmet laws.

The one that's wrong is you, old bean, with your sweeping generlizations.

sarnali2 04-17-2007 03:45 PM

Everyone knows helmets cause accidents because they decrease periphial vision and hearing. Plus they can break your neck in a fall and if that's not enough, if you get knocked in a swap it'll weigh your head down and drown you till a durn 'gator comes along and eats ya'

Must be some other reason for the increase...

testcase 04-17-2007 03:56 PM

Billy Lane?

NLJ 04-17-2007 04:05 PM

Definately a good step in the right direction. Hopefully the state will put some money behind this though. When i live in south florida i looked into taking a course. The average price for the basic MSF course was between $250 and $400. In Ohio the state kicks some funding to the program to keep the cost to the rider a paltry $25. Needless to say I waited to take the course till i lived in Ohio.

gforces 04-17-2007 04:14 PM

He's crazy as in...

the things he's known for off the track as well as on the track, I believe.

Did you see him try to elbow Rossi off the track in "Faster"? Now that was hard-core competitive! Rossi showed some of that same stuff when he bumped Gibernau off and took the win.

jstrain 04-17-2007 04:19 PM

Coming from PA, its such a shock to hear these insane prices quoted from other states. Here, the beginners course (not sure about the experienced one) is completely free to sign up for. It is funded through an extra buck or two tacked onto vehicle registrations and maybe license renewals. Its a great system because it doesn't discourage people from taking such an important course. Had I lived in a state where the course cost that much but wasn't mandatory, I'd probably skip it.

That being said, as someone mentioned above, I think the biggest difference this law will make is to keep the impulse buyers away. If someone is serious about getting into motorcycling, they'll probably already be thinking about taking a course. Maybe this will prevent people from just deciding to pull the trigger some sunny summer day. I'm no fan of government intrusion, but if you have to take a test to get a drivers license, it kinda makes sense to require the same for a bike.

ksquid 04-17-2007 04:50 PM

LOL good one..

schizuki 04-17-2007 04:57 PM

"I'm all for mandatory training, and tiered licenses too"

I don't support tiered licensing, because anyone with half a brain knows to start on a small bike. I started on a 400 twin and rode it for 12 years before moving up to a 600.

Ironically, the same people who support tiered licensing will buy 600 Supersports as their first bikes. Kinda hard to take those "One rule for me, and a different one for thee" types seriously.