Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Re: Florida To Make Rider Training Mandatory

Right up 'till the early '80's, if I recall correctly. In fact, you could drive around not only drinking beer, but with an open bottle of Jack Daniels in a bucket of ice wedged between the front seats. One that was 3/4 empty, as a matter of fact.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: WOW!

That wasn't the question. The question is: When they change the law to enforce the MSF standards will they MAKE M class riders from other states go through the course before issuing the M class for the state of FL.

It's the way the bill is written that has me concerned. It looks like the state DOES NOT take into account the exsisting motorcyclist that may move to the state.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
zenjim
Registered Member

I'm with you on Max. Did you see him work his way through the crowd this weekend in the second race? I love rooting for the crazy man.

Thread jack over.

We now return you to dead horse item #2 - mandatory licensing.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Guess I don't know. I do know that as recently as '05 when I was working at HD, if a customer had the motorcycle endorsement on their out of state license, they could get the endorsement when they got the FL license. Typically states practice reciprocity in things like this, and there's an assumption that if your home state had qualified you for the endorsement, you qualified for the endorsement for FL. This is conjecture, not fact. If you're really interested, I'd be willing to ask someone at the DMV.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
SmokeU
Registered Member

When I moved from South Dakota to Minnesota last year I had to take the written exams for both my drivers license and for my motorcycle endorsement. It was utter BS since I've had both in MN a few years before.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
bigjames
Premium Member

Well, just hope Florida does a better job with their "department-approved motorcycle safety course" than Georgia has done with their state approved helmet list, that after 20 years we are still waiting on...Betcha it will take them a decade to get the course in place...and this does NOTHING to stop the idiots (both Sport Bike and Cruisers) who don't know what in the hell they are doing at Bike Week and Biketoberfest who are NOT from Florida. Sounds like such a good idea, may be they should implement this for cars too! Damn folks, the majority of bike accidents still involve a car doing something stupid...guess this passed because there are fewer bike riding voters than cage driving voters in Florida...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #17
bigjames
Premium Member

but don't ya know that them front brakes are dangerous, can flip you right over the bike!

Yeah, I've actually heard that one...
Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Short sighted thinking...

this does nothing, squat, nada to the GPTB crowd, they pretty much are already licensed. Gonna put a hurting on young future sport bike riders though...didn't think that far did you...what a surprise. And to think I actually let my subscription cancel when you got banned...my mistake...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Default tsk tsk

So cynical. Everyone knows that government is the savior of mankind and that when a problem is addressed by the govt it is immediately solved. You are engaging in non-mainstream thinking.

It's "Tommy's Holiday Camp" for you until your attitude improves.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, it might help things a bit, but in a different way than most people seem to think. Forcing people to go through the trouble of taking a safety course will discourage the dilletantes from buying a bike at all as an impulse purchase.