Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Good first bike for a big guy?

Yeah, but it's a good bike for a beginner. And after getting some good experience one can resell it for about zero loss.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 AM   #32
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Good point.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #33
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

The sportster is pretty large; it's just small for a cruiser. It's the same size or bigger than these other bikes in terms of weight. It's also more expensive and more likely to lose value if he drops it. It has a low seat height and weird dimensions for a large person.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #34
SRMark
Founding Member

While I dearly love the KLR650, that big metal tank and radiator plastic are gonna look like crap after a few tip-overs. The engine also stammers at low rpm, making launches a bit challenging. The brakes are also weak and this will be exaggerated with 250lbs. aboard. I'd go for something in the cruiser market, maybe a Shadow 750. With the low seat and decent torque, tip-overs should be minimized. I believe the 750 is pretty much maintenance free, giving him one less thing to think about while on the road. He might need some highway pegs to stretch out a bit though. Seating, as I recall, is a bit cramped. The aftermarket could help out there quite a bit.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #35
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

He has a lot of good sense; I wouldn't be recommending larger bikes otherwise. He's in his early 30's and will be a very cautious rider who will absorb as much knowledge as he can and learn in steps.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #36
crevans
Founding Member

I doubt he's going to be able to find anything that fits him for $4k that isn't a complete basketcase. I should know, I'm almost the exact same size - 6'4" and 275.

If he must go with a cruiser, a used Suzuki M50 or Kawi Vulcan 800 might do the trick. He might also be able to find a trashed Sportster for $4k if he's handy with a wrench and doesn't mind putting a little work into it.

Personally, I ride a DL650. It fits like an absolute glove. I used to have a 1000, and that is NOT a beginner's bike. The 650 is about 40 pounds lighter, but it feels like it's 100 pounds lighter. The CoG is lower on the 650 (though still a touch high), the engine never "lugs" like it does below 3k on the 1000, and the front end has a bit more feel. It's one of the easiest to ride bikes I've ever owned. I paid $7k OTD for a 2007 DL650 back in September - first one at the dealer.

IMHO, it would be worth the extra $3k for him. You might be able to find one used for between $4500 and $6k. I'd poke around at stromtrooper.com and advrider.com. The few that do come up for sale tend to show up there first.

No matter what he gets, make sure he puts on some sort of crashbars or framesliders before he ever even takes it out of the garage. If he's never ridden before, I promise they'll pay for themselves many times over within a few months.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #37
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Me too!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #38
Grappelli
Registered Member

I'm pretty much the same height and weight as your friend. I rode about 25,000 miles on a KLR through the Americas. I have a couple of comments.

1. A KLR is easily enough bike to get a new biker into trouble and will be lots of fun for your mate. Something faster would not be a good idea. These bikes are pretty bomb proof so one a few years old will be fine. He should be able to pick a good one up for about $2-3k.

2. One suggested upgrade. Progressive suspension on the front and back. It's easy to put on the bike and will cost about $450. It makes the bike handle much better with a big guy like me (or him) on it. I got mine from dual-star.com.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #39
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Seriously

Or a Thunderbird Sport, one of my favorite bikes.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #40
fumanchu
Founding Member

here's a bike for your large friend:

a diesel-powered cruiser that has 150 pound-feet of torque.