Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Riding Harleys in Iraq? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4423-riding-harleys-iraq.html)

TomSmith 04-10-2007 01:29 PM

Re: Riding Harleys in Iraq?

I would never pick on the mentally disabled. Explain the "oil" thing - how does it work?

mscuddy 04-10-2007 03:01 PM

Yes, just another injury. I'm down, but not out. Arrr, maybe get me a couple pegs...

I'm serious about getting a fast kart with hand controls, next best thing...

Thanks, and I won't.

mscuddy 04-10-2007 03:07 PM

When I got hit I was riding along like John Q. Public, at about 30 mph on Olive Ave. when some road rage case going about 55 came up from behind and side swiped me into a high curb.

Didn't even see the guy, just riding along one moment, and next the paramedics are cutting my clothes off.

Had I been doing my usual wheelie-block pass-flip-off the cars method of offensive riding, I would have been OK.

Go figure. I need a beer...

Buzglyd 04-10-2007 04:40 PM

Hey Cuddy, Are you in a chair now? Forever?

You got any kind of fund set up to help with bills and such?

I'll bet we could get a few MoFos to help set up a go kart fund (well except for our resident big mouth tightwad).

Sorry if I'm being too personal but I think a lot of the guys on the board value you being here and would like to help.

seruzawa 04-10-2007 05:08 PM

"I hope someday that man can live in security, and ride his bikes in peace. It won't happen as long as we're there as invaders."

Like, when was that in Iraq? Security? LOL!

Buzglyd 04-10-2007 05:16 PM

Who knew Rosie O'Donnel liked bikes?

pushrod 04-10-2007 06:17 PM

Y'know, I just saw an article (kneedragger.com, maybe?) on a 372HP/10,000rpm engine made from two Hayabusa mills siamesed together...

THAT would make for a sprightly kart!

pplassm 04-10-2007 07:02 PM

Whatever.

I met a few guys, including a few soldiers, that bought bikes to ride in the Green Zone while I was there. I have pictures somewhere....

There were also Chinese Honda knock-offs for sale around Camp Victory. Didn't see any soldiers on them, though, just fat civvies.

I don't know of any way that someone could get one of them home, though. Most guys just recycled them to the next rider. Getting gas and oil, or heaven forbid, parts would have been tough.

I actually got to ride a borrowed bike over there. I suppose that's a pretty exclusive club.

Bikes I saw there consisted of old MZ's, 400cc versions of FZR's, ZXR's and VFR's. Weirdly enough (to me, at least) I saw not a single dirt or DP bike.

Riding a bike, helmetless through Baghdad traffic requires an extreme degree of insanity. Lots of crazy people over there.

Hey, I even got my obligatory "Baghdad Harley-Davidson" T-shirt!

seruzawa 04-10-2007 07:50 PM

Before Team America showed up,

it was a happy place.

They had flowery meadows

and rainbow skies

and rivers made of chocolate,

where the children danced

and laughed and played

with gumdrop smiles.

TheFox 04-10-2007 09:38 PM

Get one of those Can-Am Spyders and rig it up with hand controls so you'll be street legal. I saw some off-road truck racer who had a cool setup, but it was a couple years ago.

--Foxy