Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #31
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Social Responsibility vs. Dollar Figures

Dealers should direct you to the biggest, fastest sportbike on the floor so you don't lose a bunch of cash in depreciation on the smaller bikes as you work your way up.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Reasonable mid point?

Yes.

We passed it a looong time ago.

Why is it that these debates about freedom vs regulation ALWAYS require that people give up more freedom? The desire of the fascisti to regulate everything is insatiable.

It's time for the fascisti to give in for once.

Ha! As if that'll ever happen.

PS - This wonderful govt regulation that people loooove so much is sooooo effective. Right now in Salt Lake County the govt is allowing developers to build homes next to the Jordan River in areas that were under water in 1983. Oh yes, and the govt regulators at the FDA that approve drugs are mostly stockholders in the drug comapnies. This is why poisons like Phen-Fen get approved. I sure feel better knowing that the govt is 'protecting' me.

They can't even protect us from dishonest furnace repairman. Who believes they'll protect us from ADM?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Do you know what are the 3 most frighteneing words ever uttered?

"It's only a .22."
Old 04-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #34
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Ok, maybe the illustrations I used to make my point were at the extreme. But the comment was in the context of requiring some restraint on the dealer, such as a motorcycle certification before buying. We expect bartenders to stop serving obviously drunk patrons, and they are liable if they don't. Likewise, handing over a superbike to a novice rider is wrong, and if the dealers won't restrain themselves (they won't), then they will wind up facing intervention. And it may take the extreme form we saw being proposed in the UK if something more moderate isn't done in the interim. Personal responsibility is great if it's used, but like common sense, it's an uncommon trait.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Sounds great. Until you realize that the inspector is the bulder's brother-in-law.

I guess you aren't aware of the many 'fine' homes being built today.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #36
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I laughed a good 30 seconds, thanks.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #37
ejis
Founding Member

This may surprise many based on some of my past posts, but I actually purchased my first bike before I had a license. It was a used Yamaha Seca II, and I wanted to take the MSF course first but they were all filled up. So I had a learners permit, and I bought my bike. I had it trucked home and then tought myself to ride on neighborhood streets. I took an MSF course the next year (experienced since I had my license by then). I never wrecked it, and it fell over once, very slowly, when I was stopped in a steeply angled parking lot.

It was not necessarily the best way to go, but it was effective for me.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

No need. They can just go on the street corner and buy it. LOL!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #39
ejis
Founding Member

Believe me I am...I'm continuously fixing the shoddy work during recent "upgrades" to my house. Some things are dangerous, other simply humorous. All are agravating.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #40
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

If they're 18 and buying a 600cc sportbike as their first bike they aren't buying insurance.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote