Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Big Scooters: Economical, or Just Trendy?

It takes a certain amount of energy to push a motorcycle through the air. So a Burgman scooter is going to take a similar amount of energy to push it through the air as a Ninja. Most bikes get in the 40s on the highway. Any of my 750, 1000s and 1100s I've owned all over the years have gotten around 40 highway mpg. The best mileage bike I ever owned was a Sportster. It got 50+ regularly. You might consider a Sportster. They are handy around town too.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Jonniedee
Founding Member

All valid points - I previously had a Burgman 650, ALMOST a real motorcycle but suffered from the small wheel issue.

Plus side - No shifting and easy in traffic.

Minus side - Kinda a big boat for only a 650 and when driven hard low mpgs.

All depends on what you want them to do. Don't want to shift - best choice. Want in city wrist twist and go best choice.

Want a REAL motorcycle - worst choice.

Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
ksquid
Banned

Default kwrong

kwrong don't comment on areas you have no education, training or experience. You have been so wrong so many times. Remember your wrong assumption about energy and velocity. Just cause you hack some code doesn't make you an engineer.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Shouldn't you be out buying douche right now?

Yeah, because you need to be able to design a bridge in order to make an effective anecdotal observation about motorcycle fuel mileage.

If Seruzawa needs a master's degree to talk about fuel mileage, then you might want to consider buying a motorcycle so you can comment on motorcycling. Tool shed.

Can we PLEASE ban this guy? Please? He contribues as much to this site as a homeless guy does to the local property tax collector.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: kwrong

God you're an ass. I think you've got a f*king null pointer in your brain.

So I've been holding off on this, but you've earned it now. In the Seattle area all software development managers know that only the losers work for Boeing. If you're a good engineer you will work for a high paying dynamic company that makes interesting stuff. 40 hours a week, 9-5 does not interest intelligent motivated engineers to do good work. This town is ripe with opportunities to build cool stuff and get rewarded for it. Most of the companies I have worked for, MS, startups, you name it, tend to be wary of resumes that have Boeing on them because they mean that the employee is rigid, probably not willing to put out the extra work, and is most likely working with ancient technology.

But you've been promoted to management right? Looks like you rose to the cream of the crap.

He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Shouldn't you be out buying douche right now?

Don't stop him. Let's see the genius's dissertation on the relationships of aerodynamics, rolling friction and the myriad other factors that are involved in determining fuel mileage.

Or he could actually go out and ride motorcycles and learn for himself.... nah.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
fumanchu
Founding Member

holy god. your 1500 nomad gets 50 mpg? my commuter - a suzuki bandit 600s - gets something like 40 mpg on a good day. and i just had the carbs sync'd...

B^(
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
DougandCarol
Founding Member

Have a 06 Piaggio X9 500...really a 450cc engine. Does great around town, 53 to 55 mpg. 65 mph and up becomes a workout for the engine and gas mileage drops into the mid to lower 40's. My Suzuki "Wee Strom 650" hovers around 45-50 mpg for both city and hiway but in stop and go traffic mpg drops down to the lower 40's. Of course being a fat bastard of 220lbs doesnÂ’t help either!
DougandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: kwrong

Good point. Best post here.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
mitctho
Registered Member

Yeah, Sporties get amazing fuel economy and are really easy rides around town. The rubber mount motors are smooth once you are rolling too. A 1200R costs the same as a Burgman 650 Executive and it will be cheaper to maintain too. The Sporty won't have the built in storage or full fairing protection, but you won't look like a nerd riding it either. Well, maybe not.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote