Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #41
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Mr Programmer/Analyst

I'm sure you do wish so, but you can't, you'd never make it through the interview process.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #42
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: No control alt delete in engineering or at Boeing coder.

I don't work for Microsoft but I have twice. It's a crappy place to work these days, I'll never go back. It was good in the mid 90's though.

I'm currently working at a startup that I started up with the CEO (who had the VC contacts). We're getting sales, no guarantees that it will pan out, but hey, no risk no reward. I'd give all my earthly possessions for the Bush Administration to start anti-trust suits against my company.

Enjoy working for the biggest aerospace company in the world. It's nothing like working for General Motors, right? Time to clock out yet?
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: interesting

Good point!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #44
ksquid
Banned

Hey I am sorry to be so hard on you..You hit a nerve But I I think the best thing to do when interviewing people is not to make assumptions. Instead, ask tough technical questions. I have heard the bias folks have against Boeing folks. During the early 90s lots of folks had to leave Boeing. I know of several that went to work for Microsoft i.e. they made it through the technical interviews. Others interviewed with smaller spin offs. When they had technical interviews these folks did ok. But there were some companies where folks made assumptions about their technical abilities because they worked at Boeing. All that I ask is that you give Boeing folks a chance with a good tough technical interview. You may be surprised. I had friends end up at Apple, Sun, Cisco, etc. Look seruzaWa has been a jerk to me since dirt was invented. I have tried to be nice to him etc. Sorry you think had to defend the jerk..i.e. he can't take it but he sure likes to dish it out.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #45
ksquid
Banned

Default Suprise

Actually I did Surprise surprise.. Motorola offered me a better deal. gotcha.. I was waiting for you to say that... just like when you let someone else take the fall for your crime
Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #46
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I've hired ex-boeing coders. If the resume shows the technologies that I need and the experience I require then I will interview them; my interviews are always quite technical.

I'm still going to be suspicous of anyone who sat on a Boeing job for 15 years, and will need them to explain what they were doing. I want people working for me who are not satisfied with the status quo.

My last boss started as a Boeing programmer. He was promoted a bunch, and eventually left and ended up getting hired as the CIO of the craptastic bank I quit my dev manager job at 3 months ago. He was a crappy manager, and a crappy programmer, an idiot about quality assurance (thought bug databases were only for post-production fixes) and a jerk. He's one of many fine examples of ex-Boeing employees I've met.

The last Boeing guy I interviewed for a coder job couldn't randomize an array correctly in the language of his choice on a whiteboard. He actually started to get angry with me when I told him it really was necessary. I ended up walking him through it just to wrap the interview up; he was quite pleased with himself by the end.

Another claimed he was a database expert and could not whiteboard the simplest relational database for me, had no idea what a bitmask was and couldn't do the simplest bitwise arithmetic, and couldn't write SQL.

But like I say, I have had ex-Boeing coders work for me. They were good. They hated their jobs at Boeing.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #47
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

"Microsoft doesn't hire engineers they hire coders.. "

"Boeing doesn't have a problem recruiting engineers unlike Microsoft. "

Eh? how can you have problems recruiting a group of employee's that you also dont hire..

and btw, you talk about Boeing like you own it..get a life dude
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #48
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

Hey I have a buddy who needs a new coding job...
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #49
ksquid
Banned

Default kbashers=kcrybabies

Yep you guys can dish it out but you sure can't take it.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #50
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Cringe...

Never, ever refer to you and me as "us". I don't want to have to spend the scratch on extra keyboards every time I throw up.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote