Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #51
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: Running from the cops. Anyone done it and gotten away with it?

Well said.

What on earth is a cop supposed to do if someone tries to run??

Surely most reasonable people would expect police to chase them down - not knowing if they are involved in a lot more serious criminal activity than just a little speeding.

Not to do so would embolden real criminals to run every time if they thought there was a good chance the cops would give up.

Run and you present yourself as a legitimate target for full on police attention.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #52
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

"What on earth is a cop supposed to do if someone tries to run??

Surely most reasonable people would expect police to chase them down - not knowing if they are involved in a lot more serious criminal activity than just a little speeding."

Have to disagree with that. Many departments have a limit of pursuit speed. Seems a little disproportional to kill People for essentially attempting to avoid a revenue generator.

Few years ago some kids stole about $3,000 worth of clothes from a local mall in a "Grab and Run". About 30 miles into the "chase" an Officer lost control of his car and killed a guy going home from work. They already had the kids cold, only the kids didn't know it.

I'm not saying that there would never be a reason for Cops to pursue someone I'm just saying the cost/benefit analysis should go both ways. Maybe the Cops should draw the line at risking others lives over "stuff/money". Seems to me the only legitimate reason to endanger "others" would be an attempt to save life/lives, I could live with that.

Anyone hear about the recent attempted arrest of "bank robbery suspects" by the F.B.I.?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #53
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Most counties in Florida have a "no pursuit" policy. In many cases, the officer disregards this because of his own "machoness." That can be an endangerment to the public (not to mention a scared unskilled kid on an out-of-control motorcycle). A skilled rider on any sportbike can easily out run the best police on any back road he knows well. But, sometimes, there are traps down the road or the airborne officer. That being the case, evading usually results in jail time. That's why there are two absolute requirements to, relatively safely, run at a satisfyingly fast pace on the back roads. Obviously, you must have the skills to ride quickly and always leave that amount of reserve street riding requires. Once you have the skills, another critical judgement is knowing when to go fast: Monday thru Thursdays on a clean back road is a pretty safe choice. One wheeling through downtown traffic is not. I never fool around in traffic or the major highways. Since I work weekends, the weekday rides are almost totally free of law enforcement on my favorite twisty roads. These roads are almost always heavily patrolled on Saturday, and especially Sundays.

Another way to decrease public attention to your speed is a quiet, stock exhaust pipe. My pipe is stock, and I wear ear plugs. You'd be amazed at how the quiet will add to your concentration on your riding and allow you to enhance your skills due to the lack of noisy distractions. Now days, a loud pipe doesn't yield anywhere near the power gains they did many years ago. In fact, even with a Power Commander, you may end up actually losing horsepower. If you really want to ride faster, safer, with far more enjoyment, go to a good riding/track school such as CLASS, STAR, etc. You'll spend a fifth of the price of a titanium pipe and Power Commander with far better results and personal satisfaction. Here endeth the sermon.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #54
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Someday, I'll tell all.

Someday.

Until then, you wouldn't BELIEVE half the shyte I told you.

You might think The Kook had hac'd my account with his l33t haxor skilz, yo.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #55
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: As a matter of fact I do

Well, at least he didn't give you a warning-shot to the head, first.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #56
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: As a matter of fact I do

And they would just dump your beer on the ground or "confiscate" it.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #57
SRMark
Founding Member

Hey, arrest me, arrest me. I just gotta confess! Hell no, I've never done anything illegal as far as you know.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 AM   #58
PoppySTS
Founding Member

i still think that the oinkers burn in hell. damn nazis trying to make up for their minimalist weiners.
PoppySTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #59
stormcloud
Founding Member

Yeah, I get that there has to be limits, and I didnt make that point.

I totally agree that it's not a black and white, all-or-nothing situation.

With in-car video, radio comm's and helicopters, there's going to be alternatives to a chase.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #60
mgrsys
Registered Member

Haven't done it since '67, but my buddies and I used to do it all the time. It was more the 'find a narrow cut-through and hide' variety. It's not like we were going to actually outrun them on a Honda CL160.

I was really tempted to run last fall when I got nailed at 124 in a 55 on my '02 Sprint. The cop was going the other way on a divided highway and had to go some distance to turn around. There is no way he could have caught up. However I had no way of knowing who he had ahead to radio to.

By the way, in Illinois speeding more that 40 over is a Class A Misdemeanor. Once the cop calmed down he was nice enough to not put me in cuffs and tow the bike. I'll have to buy him breakfast sometime.
mgrsys is offline   Reply With Quote