Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Need Advice

I've had little trouble keeping-up with anyone I care to ride with on mine (FZ6). Don't have to row-the-p!ss out of the gearbox, either. Usually keep it in 5th, 4th if I'm following a "spirited" rider. ;^D Only shakes the mirrors over ~9500rpm/~100mph. When I've got it wound that tight, buzzing is the last thing on my mind.

That said, it does have less torque than the SV/DL650 down low.

The suspension is better-sorted than the Suzi's, right out of the box (but not fantastic or anything - just better than average).

I have a much bigger complaint about the backlash in the drivetrain, and the fact that Yamaha ignored the TPS-problem until it actually became a problem. At least they replaced it under a recall. Sucks it took threats of a Class-Action to spur them into action.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #22
ewok1
Founding Member

yeah i'd have to go along with both those observations.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #23
bboule
Founding Member

Go for the *regular* SV650. Not the S.

If you get the nekkid SV you'll be nice and comfortable and you can get a windscreen, etc.. for highway commuting. The riding position will keep you very happy on surface streets.

bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #24
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Get the Duc. Handles better than anything on your list. Besides a Ducati will get you laid.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #25
500Rider
Registered Member

the zzr 600 has a lot more performance than anything else here. It is the same bike that MO tested a while back when it compared it with the VFR 800. Very comfy for a sport bike, with a motor, suspension, brakes etc., that will be way better than anything else on this list.
500Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #26
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I agree with those that said they wouldn't pick any on your list. If you are willing to look at a few others models, there were some real good suggestions and depending on your performance desires, if I were you, I'd check out: 1) Suzuki V-Strom 650($6699); 2) standard Suzuki SV650($5999) (I've owned a 2000 and 2005 standards, tons of fun, cheaper, and far more comfortable than the 'S' model. May used ones running around at good prices.); 3) Yamaha YZF600R($7099); 4) Kawasaki ZZR600($7299); or 5) Honda 599 ($7399). Of these, the most user friendly would probably be the V-Strom. The best performance per dollar is the ZZR600. The best balance between comfort and performance is the YZF600R. For the highest fun factor and pure grins, the standard SV650 is tough to beat.

Two other bikes, at a somewhat higher price, would be the Honda CBR600F4i ($8499), one of the best all around sportbikes on the planet considering comfort as a major factor too. Not quite as comfortable (but close) and the performance king for the money is the Yamaha YZFR6S($8299). Hands down my choice (being more sporting oriented), I'd pick the YZFR6S and you should be able to negotiate a real good deal since most are interested in Yamaha's racier YZFR6, which is almost not livable on the street and far pricier($9299).

The bad news is many of us may add to your confusion. The good news is there are so many good choices out there, so dive in, keep an open mind, take a good look, and pick the one that will work best for you. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Check the MO archives for the middleweight standard test from a couple of years ago.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You liar! The Japanese build perfect bikes and nothing is ever wrong with them!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #29
WARPrints
Founding Member

Default V-Strom

Add one more vote for the DL650 (v-strom). One of the best all arounders, especially if you'll be doing any commuting. Add Givi tail trunk and you can carry LOTS of stuff to and from work - or anywhere else.
WARPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

OK, You got Me!

I'm just slaggin' the Yamaha because it's wore the shiny off now that I got nearly 40 miles on it........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote