Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: Need Advice

Why not get an 05 or 06 Z750S? Similar layout to the FZ6, but the slightly bigger motor makes useful torque.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
xlr8r
Founding Member

Gasp! Shock! Swoon! Do I detect faint hints that the SV650 might be losing its previously unassailable number one place in the hearts of the regular MOtisti? How fickle of you all...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
ewok1
Founding Member

of those choices i'd buy the sv. the fz should be the one but it needs some fi work and a retune. the duc is just not enough bike. the kwak would be a good choice to. i also agree that the best bike for what you want to do is probably the dl650. but not if you want a bike with a seventeen inch front. the sv needs suspension work but once that is done its a great bike
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
ochsnera
Founding Member

Kawi ZR7, ZR7s

Brother bought an 01 for $3.5k and compared to my FZ1 it's a couch. Not as quick but it handles well and has enough snort to pass anything under 80 mph with confidence.

It also has hard luggage receivers for the long rides. I'm 6'5" 350 and can ride the thing for hours. If there is one bike I had to fight traffic with it would be a fight for the ZR7 or my KLR650.
ochsnera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
hutch312
Registered Member

I had no idea the FZ6 was such a sack-less beast and I guess I already knew the 620 dark was the sack-less member of the Ducati family. I will definitely look more into the SV, Strom & the Ninja. How about the ZZR600 (maybe a little too much plastic to insure)? Not to monkey around too much, but why does Europe seem to have a much better selection of Mid-size, Commuter friendly bikes?
hutch312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
SRMark
Founding Member

Because they buy them.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #17
SmokeU
Registered Member

I'd do the 650R.

Or a Sporty.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I ride my sv650s as a commuter bike and a weekend tourer, and I love it. I'm 6'3", the ergonomics make it uncomfortable after about 2 hours of freeway riding, but if I'm just riding around town I can ride all day and I'm comfortable. Freeway riding sucks anyway. It's got great torque, it's a very fun bike. If you're worried about the seating position take Seruzawa's advice and buy the regular sv650.

The FZ6 you should steer clear of, the motor sucks, I rode one and I was happy to get back on my own bike after an hour.

The ducati is by far the coolest, but not necessarily the best in all-round usage. Not as powerful as the sv650, and a little more uncomfortable. But maybe that's a worthwhile sacrifice.

The ninja650r is just dorky. Sorry to all you ninja650r owners out there, it's just my opinion.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

If you're not too heavy and you don't plan to race it the sv's suspension is just fine.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #20
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

I think there are a few new, leftover 2005 FZ1s out there, probably around that price range. Probably a few ZRX 1200s in odd colors, too. Class dismissed.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote