Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
django9270
Registered Member

Default Re: Your Favorite POS Bike.

I agree. I can do all the work on my Bandit myself. I have owned fuel injected late-model bikes and all is great until something goes wrong.....then you pretty much have to trailer it home as you can't fix most engine issues on the road. If Royal Enfield could make a reliable product, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Unf. people who like to wrench on their own bikes are a rare breed. Hell, most of the bike owners I know won't even change their own OIL! Plus emissions laws are getting so much more stringent....basically they are trying to legislate the internal combustion engine out of existance! The Nancy Pelosi's and Al Gore's of the world want us riding around in a golf cart while they commute by limo and jet!

Plus, the criteria for a good bike, according to most people/jorno's is simply HP/Torque numbers....

Combine these factors and you have bikes that your avg. shade tree mechanic can't touch. On the other hand, it's been this way for cars for a while now.
django9270 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
crevans
Founding Member

I'd love to get a 2WD Ural. Simple to work on, can go just about anywhere, and I could put my dog in the sidecar.

It's not in the cards right now though. I can only afford one bike, and for now my DL650 is the one.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
manalagi001
Registered Member

I've had CB100 and I've had Brutale. I appreciate my time on the Honda, but I don't pine for it; it just makes me appreciate the MV Agusta more. But you're right, in that sometimes less is more, and that we all could do with a dose of simplicity. That's why I keep a 125SX in the stable. The valve adjustment is even easier than on the CB.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Would you like another one? a '76 XT that's been in my garage since the pliesteocine. I'll let it go for cheep. Then you'll have 4 valves to adjust...

My favorite POS is my DT1, and my ex KZ750.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default My Favorite Not Really a POS Bike.

Ease of maintenance and repair, and the fun of kickstarting are what keeps me on my '77 Low Rider. Ok, I also have $20k invested in it's restoration that I can't afford to lose. And it's cool to have a bike I almost never see anyone else on. But I still want my super-high tech Interceptor back. One bike is not enough.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
gjbedna
Registered Member

As an instructor, I get to ride a fleet of 250 Nighthawks quite often. DO I want the one that smokes or rattles or the nice road rash? Choices choices. I actually bought one of these things (used). The only redeeming factor is that it was used by the DC police (it was bullethole free) who had hard locking SHOEI saddlebags installed and 68 mpg. Needless to say, I sold it when I came to my senses.
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

My Concours is simple enough for me to work on, I haven't had to yet though.

My 'new' R5 350 Yamahopper is quite fun to tinker with.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
GHam
Registered Member

I have an old Yamaha SR500 that I like to take for a spin every now and then.

I have a Yamaha xs650 that I take out "every now and then"also.Those old bikes are fun but mine has constant electrical gremlins.Point style ignition,adjustable voltage regulators,,vacumn style carbs and vacumn assist pet****s are a pain in the butt.

Yes,they can all be updated along with suspension mods and completely new wiring but I still have to keep a "parts" bike around for broken switchgear and all the assorted crap that vibrates off at expressway speeds.I'm glad it's not my only bike!
GHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
giuliom
Registered Member

I owned two Yamaha XS750 in the recent past, which were fun to wrench on and quite sturdy. I also used a 750 Nighthawk, also very easy to work on (and automatic valve adjustments!!), and now ride a Bandit 1200 (2003). On the bandit I can easily do valve adjustments and I tuned the carbs using a jet kit from Holeshot, so that it just purrs and does not run rough when it's cold. Given that I put in about 1000 miles a month (I commute and ride for fun), one of the newer bikes could cost me a lot in maintenance. I do all my own work on the bikes, so I pick bikes with that in mind. I saw someone at Newcomb Ranch on Sunday (off the Angeles Crest Hwy, for those of you not in Southern Cal) with a very nice Yamaha 500 single cylinder, and it reminded me that once I would have killed for a Moto Guzzi Falcone (also 500 single cylinder). Maybe it's time to look at the ads....
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
priday
Founding Member

Once again, loving the Buell. Next to no mantinence, and what there is I can do myself. Gets back to the riding thing. That's what I bought if for in the first place.

Complexity is not necessarily bad, but [b]unnecessary[b] complexity is.

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote