Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Your Favorite POS Bike.

I'd like to see Royal Enfield bring back the Interceptor. A nice 700-750cc parallel twin with a shiny tank and classic Brit looks would be nice. If they do it, they should not sanitize and pork it up as much as the new Bonnie and they shouldn't go high end like the Dreer Nortons. Simply do what some people have done to their old Nortons and other Brit bikes: update the electrics, suspension and brakes and keep everything else basically the same. Essentially, take the next step forward past what they've done with the Bullet and apply it to a bigger bike. That would make a great second bike.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

There are some features of older bikes I'd never ever go back to. Point/coil ignition for one.

But aside from that few bikes are as sweet to ride as a nicely set up Shovelhead. CDI ignition, belt primary and a few other mods make the thing more reliable and less leaky than most people think. But, like any of the old bikes they aren't anything I'd use on a daily basis.

If I want to really indulge my nostalgia I'll pick up a new generation Bonnie. Until then my old air/oil-cooled GSX11G boat anchor will have to suffice.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I just (literally 20 minutes ago) bought a 98 Concours from a guy here at work. I've ridden with him on weekends a few times. The bike is perfect...maintained to a "T" His close friend got killed riding a few weeks ago. Bought it for $900! It's going to make a nice addition to the old HD. Something to rack up the long miles on (gee, a windshield and removable bag!). Glad to hear yours has been so trouble free.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

I hope you checked the injector pump adjustment. I've seen an R5 lose it's crank due to an improperly adjusted one.....mine.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

Bikes I've owned: 2 Yamaha Maxim(X), between 6 and 8 CB models, 1 very crude/rude Z1, 1 hybrid 69/71 Bonneville chopper (a real love hate relationship with her), and my current ride is a 87 K100rs (definitely the most fun and reliable -which, of course, is why it's fun).

The Bonni Chopper gets all the attention because it was the coolest looking $3500 bike on the planet. In a crowd of wannabe bikers riding their American Ironhorses or Big Dogs my little $3500 piece of shyt would draw the crowd. But the K bike is by far the most maintenance free motorcycle I've ever owned (and it's 20yrs old!).
Old 03-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think now-a-days they just disconnect the pump and run premix to be on the safe side.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

Hey! I've got an SR500 too! I've had that bike for 20 years, and I swear I'll never sell it. It needs rings right now, 'cause it's using a bit of oil, but it gets looks wherever I go with it.

Believe it or not, I toured Europe on that bike when I got it.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #18
DonM
Founding Member

Was it really so great back then, or was I just lucky?

Motorcyclists all have a place in their heart for simplicity. And in our minds our favorite rides from back then don't include tractor trailers and crowded roads. But, I'm in no rush to go back to skinny leaky forks and hard to start gummy carburators; tube tires and loose spokes. Batteries that held magic disappearing water, and vibration that chattered your teeth. I would like to buy a motorcycle that can survive sunshine as well as getting wet, with a reasonable parts count and weather protection. If you think I'm leading up to a new scooter appliance you're wrong. Big is OK and gets respect from cages. So my vote is for my brother's old BMW R75.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

My best old bike? My 1984 Guzzi V 650 SP. With a Dyna ignition and a decent battery, it was a great ride! I owned a few more modern and larger Guzzis, and some other Japanese motorcycles, but nothing has captured my love and attention like that old Goose.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #20
eekadog
Founding Member

Maybe MO can do a write up on your POS.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote