Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #41
cyclox
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's talk about ''chicken strips''

Heh, I was just being a wiseass... I think it's been mentioned but tire profile also makes a difference. I was at the track on a set of Pirelli Diablos, 120 front, 160 rear. I rode right off those in a lowside and still had chicken strips; the very round profile means the extreme edges of the tire won't ever touch the pavement (unless other parts of the bike are touching). Same track and bike but with Pilot Powers - maybe 1/2" of strip on the rear.

cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #42
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Death to ''chicken strips''

All this, of course, is premised on the notion that you are using the 'right' tires. Something soft enough that you can kinda see the rubber rolling off the tire like eraser dust. The folks that look at that sort of thing are gonna be hard to fool, but a deftly used grinder can probably make you look a lot braver than you are.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 AM   #43
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Death to ''chicken strips''

All this, of course, is premised on the notion that you are using the 'right' tires. Something soft enough that you can kinda see the rubber rolling off the tire like eraser dust. The folks that look at that sort of thing are gonna be hard to fool, but a deftly used grinder can probably make you look a lot braver than you are.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 AM   #44
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Try the road from Pope Valley to Middletown. There's hardly ever any traffic (or Cops) and it's got a little something for everyone. When you see big arrows indicating a sharp turn is coming, up past the 'hubcap ranch', believe them. I almost sucked all of my upholstery into the last place I wanted it the first time I encountered it. The 'advisory' signs for locals are a bit more liberal than they are for the usual tourist roads, like Hiway 29 or Silverado Trail. When they warn you about a sharp curve coming up, they mean it.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 AM   #45
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I need to get a new Irony Detector. That one just whizzed by me the first time I read it.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #46
Fenton
Founding Member

Never worry about being a wiseass to me. If I took everything on the net serious...um....I'd have a bigger...never mind.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #47
nolaandy
Founding Member

Chicken strips are meaningless indicators of how "good" you are. There are many variables, as mentioned above, including tire profile and bike geometry. The better the rider the quicker they can be while still leaving some strips unworn (generality, I know, but a solid one). It's sort of like the "I've got worn knee pucks" crowd. Whoopee. Another meaningless indicator of skill.

And if you go for the ragged edge on the street then you belong on the track. There's too many bad things that can happen on public roads. You should always have handling to spare.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #48
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

At 36, I'm just now coming to this realization. Yeah, that guard-rail looks closer than ever...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote