Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Let's talk about ''chicken strips''

Stop it. We know you ride no further than 50 miles at a time.

Just watch for twigs. It's dangerous out there.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Where I park my bike at work, if I see a new sportsbike, it's the first thing I check out. In fact the other day, I saw a relatively new Aprilia parked there with 4K miles on it with at least a 2-incher on the rear tire. "Newbie," I sez to m'self!

Now me, I've still got 3/4 of an inch on my rear tire, and due to mostly freeway commuting, I'm in need of a new set. Almost embarassed to get them changed with so much chicken-strip left, but what can you do except do like the guy with the file.

Then there was the bike I saw parked awhile back that had absolutely *no* CS on the rear, but had little pieces of rubber hanging on. A real tire-shredder! "Bow to the Master," I said to myself....
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #23
Fenton
Founding Member

190 miles of curves yesterday, baby! I haven't been on my bike for 4 1/2 hours non-stop for a while. Felt good.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
Fenton
Founding Member

My buddy bought a "take-off" at the track for his CBR1000F, looked fast parked
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #25
12er
Founding Member

What loop did you take? I had to ride mine to the shop...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #26
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Maybe it IS the tool....

Owning two bikes allowed me to notice a funny thing about wear on the edge of tires. I have a Honda VTR100 SuperHawk and an old BMW Airhead R100RT. All of the BMW miles are on the street and most are two-up, but I don’t use it to commute and most of my miles are on roads of two or fewer lanes. The SuperHawk usually gets two track days over the approximately 4,000 mile life of the tires (currently Pilot Powers) and, like the Beemer, sees no commuting or freeway duty.

So which bike has the chicken strips? The SuperHawk, of course. There’s no way I can keep those fat radials rolled over to the edge at street speeds. On the other hand, it’s no problem getting the Beemer over to the edge of those skinny bias-ply Metzlers before I start dragging the center stand.

There are few things more satisfying than leaning back against a saddlebag in front of the Burger Barn and asking the squids how come they can’t keep the edges of their tires as well-scuffed as the ones on my old Beemer. Makes ‘em nuts!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #27
Fenton
Founding Member

Went up around Berryessa, Hennessey, Pope Valley back to Sileverado Trail up to Calistoga, Napa to Novato via 12, 37 then black point, fords out to Cheese Factory(road closed due to tree falling) long way back around to 1, up to tomales, back to Napa through Petaluma via 12. Fantastic day to ride.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
Gluge
Registered Member

weird I ment that to be a reply to a different post.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #29
12er
Founding Member

Right on, did that loop about 3 weeks ago and due to the 190 number thats what popped into my head.

I also love running up 1 to Stewarts point / sea ranch and taking skaggs creek I think it is to Lake Sonoma then over to healdsberg, 128 to calistoga and on to Berryessa.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #30
bdcrow00
Registered Member

Default Re: Maybe it IS the tool....

The quality of roads is a big part of this, IMHO. In Iowa, the poorly maintained roads mean the rear is walking if I really lean over. In the Orange County, South Side (Irvine), I got down to small fractions of an inch just going through business areas intersections at slow speeds.

Just depends on the quality of the roads,

BC
bdcrow00 is offline   Reply With Quote