Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's talk about ''chicken strips''

Put a car tire on the back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
johnnyb
Founding Member

Margie who?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
Gritboy
Founding Member

Sandpaper those strips if you can't take it or you want to get the coating off 'em, or better yet lean, lean, lean.

I recommend you take the bike through some long back-road 90+ mph sweepers where you can see far enough ahead you're not worried that surprise auto is going to take off your head on a blind corner with its mirrors.

I have about a 1/4 inch on my strips on Pirelli Scorpion Syncs, which is close enough for a WeeStrom. My original stock units didn't feel safe past about 3/4 of an inch.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
tumbler
Founding Member

I always look at the back tire of sportbikes, it's a habit. If your pegs are not touching down you should be able to lean over more, that's when I know I am going too fast for the road. Plus, the grinding noise scares the crap out of me mid corner, which is a bad thing...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
Fenton
Founding Member

First time I touched down was turn 2 at Infineon Raceway, scared the crap out of me. Almost stood the thing up and aimed it at a wall.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
manalagi001
Registered Member

That's my experience too, but every once in a while I see someone with truly hammered edges...maybe they used the file, or use their track tires on the street once they're unsuitable for track duty.

I commute so I have an excuse for wearing the center down.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
mheyer
Founding Member

"Chicken Strips" have a lot to do with form as well. If you have terrible form, you will actually lean the bike over further because of it. Better form means the bike has to lean over less for a given turn and speed. If you have good form, no way you should be wearing away the chicken strips on the street. Additionally, front and rear tire wear can depend on your style - for example, I was just at Barber last weekend working on picking up corner entry speed - meant less trail braking (getting off the brakes at the 1 markers before tip in, and throttling through). This will not wear the front edges hard at all. A deep hard trail-brake will use much more of the front tire. With my practice, I scrubbed the rear slick to the edge, and shot it in two days (14 20-minute sessions). The front slick has maybe 3/4" of "chicken strip" and tons of life. Anyway, both form and style will dictate how much chicken strip and comparative chicken strip front to rear. Riding on the street, you should never get rid of them with good form. If you do want to get rid of them for whatever reason, just shove the bike under you like a dirt bike while cornering - the bike will need more lean angle to complete the turn. You'll also be further on the edge of the tire, and have less rubber on the ground. Do it at your own risk.

For the above reasons, I don't give any credit for lack of chicken strips.....
mheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #18
Fenton
Founding Member

I rarely use my brakes on a curvy road and would agree with the front not wearing very far toward the edge. I was just surprised by the fact my upping the pace didn't use more of the tire.

I guess I need to worry about making the used part "blue" instead.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
Gluge
Registered Member

I don't know I've used dunlops and bridgestones and tore up the edges on both (on the track)

Fronts do seem to resist a little better but even those you can get torn up to the edge too.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #20
Gluge
Registered Member

On the track with track tires - I've tried dunlops and Bridgestones - both were worn to the edge... this is with a RS125, but maybe it's just track tires.... on my EX500 with sport touring tries they don't get worn all the way to the edge.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote