Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Switching Gears

Article says he has a bike. I just want to know where he found a "Harley" that passes people going 120 like they're standing still.

Looks like the bike in the picture is a Buell.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Speedo error.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #23
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: What do you think?

I too vote libertarian, but I still feel guilty that my country has become the worlds hegemon. Our forefathers had it right when they espoused a policy of no foreign entanglements. I'm reasonably certain that the vast majority of those billion people are unhappy with us for mucking around in their national affairs.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
maladg
Registered Member

Does anyone out there but me miss CW's Tour & Travel Mag edited by Beau Allen Pacheo (sp??).

Couple of years back, he wrote about taking his brother - fresh back from Iraq - on a bike trip to decompress and start the long road back to what passes for normalcy. Probably the best article ever in CW's Tour/Travel Magazine.

1st choice as self therapy: long motorcycle ride.

2ed choice as self therapy: go home and do a "THO" type project with the SWMBO and spoor.

3rd choice as self therapy: "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy". Not really - just looking for a place to work in the title of an old song by...NRBQ? Heck, I fergit anyway.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #25
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You think so, huh?

Is that way LBJ didn't run in '68? And why Lieberman lost the Democratic primary last year? Your argument makes no sense and has no basis in fact. (sorry if I sound like you-know-who)

Even a majority of Republicans are now opposed to this war. It's not a liberal/conservative issue anymore. Thank God!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #26
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Kind of...

That's sort of what I'm saying, but not 100%. It's one thing to support a policy like free trade or wetlands protection, but supporting a war that you don't want to fight in yourself (if you are able to do so) is morally reprehensible; if you don't want to fight in that war, and nobody else does (and believe me, although there are plenty of hard-core folks in the military that really believe in what they're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan, the majority DO NOT and just want to survive long enough to go home) that reflects a selfish lack of character that I find repugnant.

If it's important enough for somebody else to die for, you should be willing to die for it yourself. We've fought wars like that. This is not one of them, and it never was from the word go. I have yet to see a shred of evidence to the contrary

Old 02-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #27
dorkboy
Registered Member

I can't bring myself to feel guilty because of things I had absolutely no control over, and that includes this country's foreign policy for the last 100 years. Now that we are already "entangled," (i.e. they already want to kill us) the problem is ours. Do we let them kill us because they have some justification for feeling that ? And given where we find ourselves now, does saying "Oops, we'll just make our exit now if you don't mind. Good luck," fix the problem or make it worse?

I'm not saying I know the answer to the second of those questions, (I hope the answer to the first one is obvious) but I know it needs to be considered before we just cut and run. Unless we can guarantee the continuing safety of, at a minimum, the citizens of the US, the problem remains regardless of whether we have a continuing military presence in Iraq or Afganistan. Short of a weapon proof dome over the US and a complete lack of civil liberties under it, the problem isn't going away unless our enemies go away, which doesn't seem likely at this point. Check global birth rates by nation and religion.
dorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #28
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

What exactly does our continued presence in Iraq have to do with our national security, or the so called war on terror? The US spends more money on "defense than all of the other countries in the world combined. Is it possible that we might "guarantee the continuing safety of, at a minimum, the citizens of the US" if we deploy most of our vast military in our own country? Let's not even get started on the bungling going on in Afghanistan. If the US was really interested in riding the world of the Al Queda leadership we would have already leveled Waziristan, but then "our" (sic) government would have to find a new hobgoblin to frighten the masses into submission with. WouldnÂ’t they?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #29
Gabe
Registered Member

Man! Did you get grudge-holding lessons from my wife, or what?

Honestly, being called outside the mainstream of political thought of Americans is a compliment, in my mind. Look at the pack of pimps, sycophants and morons they sent to Washington DC and all the state capitols. What's even more amazing is how we got involved in a war nobody besides ten or 15 neoconservative zealots wanted. Historians will be looking at this one a long, long time after the VA sends out its last disability check in 80 years.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
dorkboy
Registered Member

What I was trying to point out is that we need to consider our course of action based on the way things are (we are already there) not the way we wish things were (we never got involved.) And believe me I agree that we never should have been there in the first place. But I think it possible that if we just withdraw wholesale now, things will be a hell of a lot worse for both the US and the citizens of these countries than if we try to establish some stability. This if true would compound our error, to everyone's detriment. Note I said possible. I don't think anyone knows for certain, but I haven't heard discussion of this possibility by any advocates of withdrawal, only by Cheney and his sock puppet, and I know what they want.

Your post implies that you believe that the US government is purposely prolonging the elimination of Al Quaeda. I'll bet you also believe the administration was responsible for 9/11.

You implied previously that our enemies are justified in wanting to kill us because of our country's meddling in their affairs. What do you think "level(ing) Waziristan" would justify?

With respect to the deployment of all of our troops within our borders, that would guarantee the complete loss of civil liberties I referred to. Trading liberty for security usually results in having neither. Pretty soon we'd have tiered licensing and helmet laws.

dorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote