Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #71
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Go see Ghostrider

We have assumed control. It's on Maine time now - EST minus 20 years.

Look for an upcoming review of the new Cagiva Allazurra 650. I predict big things for this Cagiva/Ducati relationship.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #72
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm waiting on the Honda Hurricane review. I've heard good things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to finish upgrading my set-up to the new Commodore 64C system with 1541-II floppy drive and 1084S RGB monitor.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #73
schizuki
Founding Member

Those home-computer things will never catch on. I'll stick with proven technologies, like LP's.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #74
everiman
Registered Member

Default Re: Go see Ghostrider rebuttal

Kick in the....Ooooh That's harsh! OK, I guess nobody got it.

First off, the World's Fastest Indian shoulda been on my classics list, that was inexcusable. Harley D. and the Marlboro Man wasn't a bike movie, more like Beavis and Butthead meets Revenge of the Nerds without the funny stuff. It's OK, I got it on my shelf, but it wasn't a bike movie anymore than the Terminator series or even the Great Escape, which had maybe the greatest bike chase scene ever.

And I never said it was better than any a them others, but Ghostrider is a biker classic, and here's why.

An ever recurring theme in the whole biker culture, at least on this continent is the whole 'biker as the last of the rugged individualists' theme. The western ideal of a man putting comfort and safety and the love of a fine woman with excellent boobs behind him because the call of the wild is too strong. You see this over and over again in the classic western hero as portrayed in the movies, the loner who rides off into the sunset. This is really the first movie that formally and without any subtlety transforms the lone cowboy into the lone biker. Along the way there are some good portrayals of all the things that makes riding a bike fun, the rush of doing silly *****, like lighting off the car alarms with your too loud pipes, burnouts and stoppies (not that I approve of this kind of anti social behavior, no no, bad bad bad don't try this at home). There is also the good stuff, the open road, a guy who prefers his bikes to people etc..

The other movies that are classic biker movies as opposed to movies that have bikes in them, each show a different aspect of biker culture. The worlds fastest Indian is about an unsung genius type guy who could have made anything, and chose to make an obsolete bike with a 70 mph top speed go 200. This one's for the mechanic who could make a zillion working on Ferraris, but works on stuff he loves instead. The Wild One shows how the non biking world views biker culture. It also became the role model for the one percenters, like or not, it had a major impact on biker culture. Easy Rider was about the young baby boomer take on biker culture, a freedom machine, part of the whole sex, drugs, and rock and roll scene, the beggining of a bike boom that has yet to end. And lastly and likely the best pure bike movie, OAS 1.0 a documentary on the sport that really capture what competition is all about.

So agree or disagree, all the real bikers thought Easy Riders was a silly movie (it was).

Bikers did not want anything to do with the Wild One, that wasn't us, that was those one percent a**holes.

OAS had no appeal outside the biker world, and while we all still watch it, it is little known outside the bike world, although I suspect it did OK money wise. Ghostriders is about as silly as a movie gets, but at the same time it captures something about what bikes are all about that the more serious movies missed.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #75
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Why in the hell aren't we...

New new '07 GSX-R 1000 is something special too (may trade my V-Strom in for one this year if the F-800 doesn't get my check first), though the thought of the Super Duke make me feel like a kid on crack.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #76
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Don't get me wrong, I like sportbikes. But the 600cc and 1000cc from suzuki/kawasaki/yamaha/honda reviews are sometimes pointless. They all go super fast, turn on a dime, are really light, and comfort plays second fiddle.

That and the Suzuki color schemes are usually the worst of the bunch.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #77
tomhorn
Registered Member

Default Re: Go see Ghostrider rebuttal

Yep. And "Torque" was actually a B Western with bikes instead of horses.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #78
mitctho
Registered Member

Default Re: GSX-R1000 with the new eletronic multi-output power....

That would be handy for the mega cruisers too.

Such a switch could limit power to 25 hp to avoid drunken loss of control when exiting the bar parking lot. It could prevent mindless throttle blipping at stoplights too.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #79
jasonlion54
Founding Member

Damn, and I thought that my conspiracy theories were out there.
jasonlion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 PM   #80
Gritboy
Founding Member

Paint schemes do such for Suzuki especially, but aside from comfort the above are all reasons to love GSX-R. Mind you, I dig my comfort too.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote