Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
mrdick
Registered Member

Default Re: Tire Wars!

Hmmm... I seem to recall seeing Michelin radials at the Honda dealership in Alameda around 1974. They were being used on a trial basis on CB750 police bikes, but didn't pan out on wire wheels in a tubed application. I seem to recall the issues being squirrelly handling (probably due to the tall aspect ratio on a vehicle that leans) and ctastrophic sidewall failure in the event of a puncture. Maybe they weren't successful, but I think that predates Pirelli's "inventing" claim by about a decade, and Michelins intro of a viable radial by a decade-and-a-half!

mr****.
mrdick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Pirelli is also making a first rate race compound for WSB. You can verify this by looking at testing times on WSB bikes compared to GP bikes on the same tracks. Pretty impressive Pirelli.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
ewok1
Founding Member

I was on dunlop 209s for the last part of 05 and in 06 and 208gps for the years before that. i fought head shake all year in 06 on both bikes. my teammate had the same issues and switched to pirellis. he said they were a tad squishy in the front but the rear grip was good. he got used to the soft tire up front. he is racing at daytona this spring and was worried about needing a special tire. pirelli said "nope, run what ya brung."

i plan to give dunlop one weekend in 07. if my new penskes don't solve the head shake i'm going to start to suck up to the pirelli guy.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Imperialist Lies!

Everyone knows that radial motorcycle tires were invented by heroic Soviet transportation engineer Radialovich Rimskiiiy. All hail the glorious Party.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: Imperialist Lies!

I knew that
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
saaz
Registered Member

I used a few sets of the MP7 back in 1983. They were not a true radial like today, as they did fit the narrow rims on my GS1000, which back then had 'wide' allow Akronts on it. First set of tyre were the best I had ever used on the road, lasted a long time relative to other sticky tyres of the day. Mileage of only 2000kms was not unusual, the MP7s lasted nearly 10,000kms. Then they changed the compund/construction, and there were never as good again.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

Pirelli sure is making one great tire these days, we have been using their products lately and are very impresed by them. The Diablos rule the twisties and track days and they last a long time, how can you beat that?

PIRELLI, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
obandoj
Founding Member

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/07oct...lli_strada.htm
Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
obandoj
Founding Member

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/12jan...blo_corsa2.htm
Old 02-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

What's up with harley-davidson, did they have a falling out with Dunlop? Buell switched from Dunlop 616s on the Ulysses after one year, and are running Pirelliis now. I think the cruisers are still running "Harley-Davidson" braded tires made by Dunlop, but maybe that will change too. Anyone have any insight on that?
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote