Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   MO Exclusive: Buell Announces Intent To Bring ''Off-Road'' Bike Within Two Years (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4277-mo-exclusive-buell-announces-intent-bring-off-road-bike-within-two-years.html)

Gordy 02-02-2007 07:25 AM

Re: MO Exclusive: Buell Announces Intent To Bring ''Off-Road'' Bike Within Two Years

Ahh the Rickman Zundapp....My first brand new bike. I broke everythig on that somebiscuit and welded it all back together myself with a stickwelder. Then I put a CB160 Honda engine in it and painted it red. (And gave it away before I ever got it running)

sarnali2 02-02-2007 07:30 AM

Re: MO Exclusive: Buell Announces Intent To Bring ''Off-Road'' Bike Within Two Years

That's right, they were 100's. I had a Hodaka Super Rat that I raced back then and there where quite a few of them around, neat bikes.

acecycleins 02-02-2007 07:35 AM

Re: Gabe's Speculation...

Agreed. ATK does something that the competition doesn't, however. They purpose build, race ready machines in low-volume numbers. Profits are good because it's "privately" held. They keep expenses down and keep developing quality product. Much like Buell. Except for the "privately held" part, Buell operates on a budget that pales to HD R&D I'm sure. But as far as aquisitions are concerned- remember the rumors of HD buying a smaller European company about a year ago? HD WOULD buy a company lock, stock if the numbers looked right. Why wouldn't Buell? Polaris tried it with KTM. KTM wised up before the ink dried good and only work the "development" side of the project now. If Buell would look at ATK in such a manor I would wager that Buell would pick ATK up in a heartbeat if the terms worked for both companies.

SRMark 02-02-2007 07:38 AM

I wish them better luck than Cannondale and I wish the Buell offroad bike dealers a better fate than the Cannondale dealers had. Frankly, I think they're nuts if they go for a real dirt bike. The supermoto seems to be a much better route. I hope that's where they're headed and I hope it becomes available for the street.

acecycleins 02-02-2007 07:45 AM

Read what I said earlier in the thread. Cannondale had very cool stuff and NO money to make it viable. ATK (a much smaller company than bicycle making Cannondale) has made quality bikes for years. Expensive- but worth a look.

gas_pig 02-02-2007 08:14 AM

They'd sell better if they were plated and not true "closed course".

schizuki 02-02-2007 09:21 AM

Re: BadWebBoyz

Absolutely. Once you go bag, you never go back.

Neal 02-02-2007 09:23 AM

My Buddy has,and occassionally races, Rickman frame with a Honda SL125(now SL150) installed. Handles and runs great. Another friend of mine races a Rickman zundapp....goes through a lot of gears(transmissions are not there strong points). ive never seen a CB160 in one,,,,that would be very coool.

Neal 02-02-2007 09:29 AM

Re: Gabe's Speculation...

It WOULD be cool....ATK with HD's resources and Buell's engineering skills added to the mix could be a force. it would be great to see a Made in USA bike on the pro MX circuit,but I aint holding my breath.... I think we are more likely to see a Buell on the short track/TT circuit ridden by the same guys who ride the XR750's. that would be cool too! Man,no matter what this turns out to be,I'm excited!

schizuki 02-02-2007 05:57 PM

Re: Check this out!

Bum-wheelies!