Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #71
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Landspeed Record Biodiesel Bike To Be Star At Biodiesel Conf.

What's the timetable here?"

First day of Never. Don' you realize? It's a Right-Wing Konspiracy® to deny the Common Man™ something that allows one to pull oneself from the pit of Despair and Poverty©.

Too bad the Demoncrats are even more Evil-er, or they'd be the Salivation of Man©. Minus the Christians.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #72
ksquid
Banned

"How much fuel does it take to make a gallon of biofuel and bring it to market?"

Energy balance is what you are looking. Biodiesel has a btu ratio of 3.2.. i.e. you get 3.2 BTUs out of every BTU you put in. 1.34 for ethanol and gas is less than 1 and hydrogen is a miserable 0.5

"If biofuel is so amazing, why aren't we all using it?"

Economies of scale i.e. producing large enough quantities for the price to go down and the distribution network isn't there... But also consider the political and military costs of oil. Now some will point out that we don't get the most of our oil from the middle east. But if the middle east oil was cut off then prices would soar so defacto we are linked to those bad regimes for our economic security.

If gas ever gets above $3.5 or if there is another blockage/embargo. We will see biodiesel take off. The great thing is that the U.S. has the best land and farmers on the planet.. Remember ultimately biodiesel is energy from the sun i.e photosynthesis.

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #73
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: B100 Pure biodiesel is sold in Seattle there AirHawk

Hey I have been here since 7 am so give me a break I have to get back to work now till 6 I won't get home till 7:30 Then I eat watch some TV check work email and my Google alerts and post to MO by 10:30 wake up at 5 then repeat cycle.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #74
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Here is great chart about prices and who are the big fleet users in Seattle

Sorry to put a turd in your punch bowl but he was wrong.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #75
Fenton
Founding Member

I stand corrected, as you were.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #76
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

First, I'm not bashing here. Looking for real info.

What is causing it to be $3 per gallon (apart from limited production)?

Why isn't it more effiecient in cars (MPG)?

Do we have enough farm land to make it happen?

How are they going to get through the Environmentalist when we are using more and more land to produce bio-diesel? (this will happen)

Can a car run on biodiesel and standard crude oil through the same set up? (If this becomes more available pricing will shift in a competing market and oil may be cheaper at times)
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #77
ksquid
Banned

Default My kguesses to your questions.

1. My guess was not enough plants have been built and not enough retailers and distributes ..Kind of Chicken and egg thing. There has to be enough profit for more folks to invest in the industry, once that happens there has to be an increase in demand to maintain a healthy profit. If it was biogasoline or ethanol instead of biodiesel I think it would take off faster. Ethanol doesn't have the payoff that biodiesel has.

2. It's still diesel..so it's is limited by the state of technology for diesels.

3. I heard yes and no. If not there is a way to get a higher yield from algae.. Sounds like BattleStar Galactica stuff doesn't it? i.e they make everything from algae on that show.

4. Yes.. and you are right oil may be cheaper sometimes...
Old 01-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #78
schizuki
Founding Member

"Remember ultimately biodiesel is energy from the sun i.e photosynthesis."

But the crops have to be harvested with combines, right? That uses fuel. What's the cost of the fertilizer? Etc etc.

I'm an agnostic on this. Maybe it will eventually work, maybe not. People who advocate alternative fuels rarely think things out - like, what will happen to crop prices once everybody starts burning biofuel? Or how about the hybrid zealots - what happens to the price of lithium when there's a demand for tens of millions of batteries?

I'm more hopeful about the advances in oil shale and tar sands. The technology and infrastructure for the end product is already in place, and there's no need for a transition. And frankly, with all of the oil sitting in the Gulf and in Alaska, untouched, I'm skeptical that we're anywhere near a crisis. As long as we feel we have the luxury of not disturbing an arctic wasteland and some caribou, or spoiling someone's waterfront view, things can't be that bad.

And I don't give a rat's a** about "global warming", either. If the leading doomscreamer can own multiple huge houses, then any talk of "carbon footprints" is self-evidently exaggerated.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #79
ksquid
Banned

I am sure there is a Big oil thing going on who are you kidding. Archer Daniels vs Exxon Mobile who do think is going to have more pull with the current administration..
Old 01-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #80
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: My kguesses to your questions.

Well, you have good taste in television, I'll give you that.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote