Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
rbitra
Registered Member

Default Re: Engine Break-In

first
rbitra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
david_801644
Registered Member

Yea, I think that if Honda with their testing found that a easy breakin for their engines was best then that is what is happening to my bikes.

David
david_801644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
s/cBrian_3
Registered Member

I did it with my '04 V-Strom 1000. At 29,656 kms it runs great. Tons of power and doesn't use a drop of oil. I will do it again with my next new bike.
s/cBrian_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
DonM
Founding Member

He makes a good point and can back it up with lots of examples.

I remember breaking in my Honda CB550 gently with highway miles and developing flat spots on the cams.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I've followed this with every new bike I've bought and never had any trouble with low compression, oil burning or any other engine related problems. New engines don't "wear in", if they're not right from the factory they'll puke no matter what. The only reason for taking it easy on a new bike is to give the tires a chance to scrub off the mold-release compound and give the brake pads a chance to wear in. All that takes about 200 miles, do the first oil and filter change at 1000 miles or so, check over the nuts and bolts and just ride it.

Easy break ins are a relic from the bad old days of loose tolerances, crappy metallurgy and 3000 mile oil changes. They no longer apply to modern engines.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: Engine Break-InWhat I hate about easy break-in's.

What I hate about easy break-in's.

There's no other way to say this other then it SUCKS!!

That's right, those easy by the book drive really slow with easy on the throttle take off's and vary your speed slightly directions suck!

I have no patience, that's why I ride a motorcycle, so I can use the power and speed and get to the front of the shopping mall parking and then park on the side walk right by the front door, because I have no patience!

SO to ask me to ride really slow and easy with my brand new bike for the first 500 miles or so is like asking me to just start off the honey moon with my hot new wife with a little slow kissing and wait 5 days before doing anything serious.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Joel_CA
Registered Member

Default Re: Engine Break-InWhat I hate about easy break-in's.

I agree with the fast break-in technique. I have built a few car engines, none of which had extremely tight tolerences, but all of them have been sucessful builds using that method. New ring technology allows the top ring to seal much quicker than before with old cast iron rings. Something that is really good for a new engine is to find a hilly area and really let the motor compression- brake the vehicle, followed by uphill accelleration.
Joel_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
obandoj
Founding Member

He has the right idea, I've done exactly that, many times and my bikes run great, the last time I serviced my SV650S, I did a leak down test just for the hell of it, and it has 2% Leak down! awsome. I change my oil and filter at 20 miles, 50 miles, 250 miles and 1000 miles, then every 1500 miles. Never a problem and they live a hard live!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
ksquid
Banned

Default kpaul asks the hard questions.

Is this ground hog day? OK my questions are?

[*]If run it hard is the answer or ride as normal i.e don't take it easy, then why do all owners manuals from multiple manufacturers have the same type of break in period? It seems like it could be a major marketing advantage to say [i]"From day 1 you can ride our new ZX-8R V-4 normally, no wasted hours of a slow break-in period" I don't buy any legal argument...[i]
[*]Has this guy, mototuneusa, done a double blind study.. like gbrummett says "There's no other way to say this other then it SUCKS!!" until you have real facts and data it's an opinion or hypothesis
[*]Is this guy a mechanical engineer that has built factory engines? What are his qualifications? Has he published in SAE?

kpaul says follow the owner's manual, don't violate your warranty

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: kpaul asks the hard questions.

Unfortunately when it comes to motorcycles Kpaul doesn't know his ass from his elbow. After you've come close to the two dozen motorcycles I''ve had, the 40 years I've ridden them, the over 750,000 miles I've put on them and the non-existant oil related breakdowns I've had you may feel free to comment, untill then may I offer the sage advice contained in the poster on my office wall

"How about a nice big cup of shut the f*ck up---think before you say something stupid"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote