Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #31
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: kpaul asks the hard questions.

Since I don't operate a testing lab, nor am I anal enough to gather "facts and data" that can be presented in anyway to give the desired conclusions, the only evidence I have (and the only evidence I really care about) is my own and a number of my friends experiance's. Modern engines do not require a "break in " period.

However, tires and brakes do, and a rider on a brand new bike should ride carefully for a few hundred miles in order to familierize him/her self with the bikes weight, power and handling characteristics, in my opinion that is the true reason behind the gentle break-in.

If they just wrote "ride carefully till you know what you're doing" many people, most likely you included would say "screw that, I know how to ride, I don't need to take it easy" and promptly run into the first tree they could find. Instead they say break in the engine on your delicate jewel or you'll void your warrenty and people (like you) pay attention and ride carefully and at the same time learn the bike's behavior.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #32
ofreen
Registered Member

It has occurred to me many times that kpaul is just a mechanism to generate interest in the reader feedback section. People complain about him but still rise to the bait. Some are so obsessed with him here that they will start writing about him before he even posts on a topic. People complain about him filling the forums up with irrelevant junk, but it is the multitude of responses to his posts that are filling the place with chaff. Ignore him, and the problem goes away.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #33
ksquid
Banned

"Modern engines do not require a "break in " period." Well the owners manual's say different. That is your opinion.. Not proved by any comparison studies.

Again why would the manufacturer get sued if they didn't have the break-in period? People get sued when there is a defect from the implied warranty thats Business Law 101. i.e. If you are using the bike and the foot peg broke off and you crashed. If it was found that there was a deliberate marketing of an unsafe bike with a defective foot peg Then you might have a case. ie. the exploding gas tank on Pintos... That is what happened with general aviation..

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #34
ksquid
Banned

I agree with your last sentence.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #35
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Point

"I would rather follow the manufacturers advice since they have done plenty of study on their engines etc." You nailed the most important fact...
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #36
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Engine Break-In

Reading which is the best way to break in modern engines gives me the same feeling as reading the 50´s tips for the stingy hausfraus "how to care for your husbands ties to make them last longer" and "take care for your cast iron frying pan for a long life".

I mean, how often is it really that you have to overhaul the modern engine for gossakes? Buy a new 750 Jap and you´ll be in the basket before the engine is. Or say a big H-D. Anyways most of the cylinders changed are for tuning up purposes. The old ones typically having still 95% of the usable life left. For the better technology, better affordability, and tuning up activity the concept of breaking in has compeletely ceased to matter.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. That's waht I was thinking. The manufacturers don't want idiots blowing the new engines up by revving them to redline unloaded. Morons would misunderstand the higher speed break-in procedures and proceed to grenade new engines.

Another reason is that the manufacturers' break-in procedures in use today are the same ones that have been in use since cars were first sold a hundred years ago. Back then slow break-ins were necessary because the poorer fit of components led to seizures. All this changed in the 80s-90s. Even though the variance of components today is a fraction of what it was 30 years ago the same break-in procedures are still in use.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #38
ksquid
Banned

"obvious aggravation " Excellent point you would think if it wasn't necessary it would be a great marketing ploy to say no aggravating break-in period.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #39
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm sure there is plenty of evidence to support either position, as I said I'm not anal enough nor bored enough to search it out.

However common sense should tell you and your own faith in modern technology and manufacturing process should tell you it's un neccessary. What's to break in? the engine is made of precisely manufactured componants fitted uniformly to the ten or hundred thousands of an inch, lubricated with modern syn.blend oil and tested for correct operation prior to leaving the factory. Any tightness is going cause the engine to sieze or score the cylinders in that initial start up, any loosness in the bearings and they'll spin at that time, once you get the bike it's been run a few times and been through a few heat cycles at the dealership.......what's there to break in?

They tell you that so you the buyer will take it easy on a new bike. The warrenty is in effect whether you follow their guidelines or not unless they can prove conclusivly that your action caused the failure.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #40
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Carefull now, just because you work in a multi-line motorcycle dealership in a major city doesn't mean you know anything about bikes..you need facts and data sourced from an approved double blind study including detailed minutia on the bottom of multi colored charts and graphs, only then will your opinion be considered correct.

By the way, did you ship my new Tiger yet? I sent you a check for the full amount from my bank in Nigeria...